US military action in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US military action in Afghanistan

Didn´t see this covered here, so be it....

From CNN : http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapc....us/index.html

1,000 U.S. troops raid Afghan towns
    Thursday, March 20, 2003 Posted: 6:45 AM EST (1145 GMT)

U.S. troops are trying to flush out al Qaeda and Taliban remnants.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CNN) -- About 1,000 U.S. soldiers have launched a full-scale operation in southeast Afghanistan, targeting suspected al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists.

As the world watched events unfold in Iraq early Thursday morning, Operation Valiant Strike, begun with an air assault, just east of Kandahar, army officials confirmed on Thursday.

Troopers from the 82nd Airborne are handling the two-and-a-half day mission, focusing on three villages along the Pakistani border.

The U.S. Department of Defense said soldiers were sent into the area after military intelligence intercepted radio transmissions coming from caves located in the hills surrounding the three border towns.

Two teams of soldiers descended on the region within 30 minutes of one another, arriving in Humvees and Apache, Chinook and Blackhawk helicopters.

Valiant Strike follows in the wake of the military's last big anti-terror mission in Afghanistan, which was called Operation Anaconda.

Anaconda was the largest U.S.-led ground offensive since the 1991 Gulf War, using American and Canadian forces to hunt down terrorists in the Shah-e-kot region in eastern Afghanistan.

Hundreds of Taliban and al Qaeda fighters were killed in the three-week offensive. Eleven allied forces, including eight Americans, also died.

A U.S. official told CNN that Osama bin Laden was not the target of Valiant Strike but the official said he couldn't comment further.
    Interesting timing.
    Blah

I don't see any reason why they would have waited for the beginning of the Iraqi war to do this. ANyone has an idea ?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
      I don't see any reason why they would have waited for the beginning of the Iraqi war to do this. ANyone has an idea ?
      The conventional wisdom on US television is that this operation is to disrupt any terrorist reprisals coinciding with the start of the war.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I´m not sure. One could think that the US tries to send a political message a la "even if we attack Iraq we don´t forget Afghanistan", but of course it is speculative at this time...
        Blah

Comment

I think it's just coincidence myself, but one possibility would be to indicate to Al Qaeda that the Iraqi situation will not be a distraction in regard to the anti-terrorist campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO1003

The conventional wisdom on US television is that this operation is to disrupt any terrorist reprisals coinciding with the start of the war.
            I usually view US television with high suspicion, but I think I'll believe it for once. It seems to be a valid reason.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Operation "Valiant Strike?"
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This war with Iraq begun out of the blue, since they wanted to get Saddam and thought they had a chance. This other operation was probably already in the works before the Iraq strike.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I thought of it more in terms of the Pentagon using the war in Iraq as a distraction to catch them off guard ( No, I don't think that the entire war is a distraction, but in this case they're using it as this, IMO. The war in Iraq is multitasking. )
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    This war with Iraq begun out of the blue, since they wanted to get Saddam and thought they had a chance. This other operation was probably already in the works before the Iraq strike.
                    The operation was probably scheduled to disrupt terrorist operations prior to an attack on Iraq, but it serves the same purpose regardless of timing.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

It also allows the US administration to say they have not forgotten Afghanistan and Al-Q just because the shooting has started in Iraq.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        Yes, but they knew when the ultimatum would run out, so it was not totally surprising....

Of course nothing to make a big conspiracy theory about, but still interesting.
                        Blah

Comment

Working...
                        X