• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No drilling in ANWAR

A brake form the other oil news:

Senate Rejects Oil Drilling in Alaskan Refuge
    By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON, March 19 — The Senate rejected the keystone of President Bush's energy plan this afternoon, narrowly defeating a proposal to begin oil drilling in the Alaska wildlife refuge.

The vote, 52 to 48 against opening the refuge to drilling, was largely along party lines. The result had been expected, since Republican vote-counters had concluded on Monday that they did not have a majority. But the result was nevertheless a stinging defeat for Mr. Bush.

Mr. Bush came into office vowing to reverse President Bill Clinton's refusal to permit drilling in the refuge. The president has argued that the United States must free itself from dependence on foreign oil. Mr. Bush and his allies in the Senate had hoped that rising oil and gasoline prices and the threat of war with Iraq — now all but certain — would lend momentum to their cause.

Mr. Bush has had wide support from oil companies and Alaska's powerful Congressional delegation. But opposition from environmental interests has been fierce.

When drilling in the refuge was rejected in the Clinton administration, Democrats narrowly controlled the Senate. Now, Republicans are in control, with 51 votes, to 48 Democrats and 1 independent. Several Democrats have supported drilling, but even more Republicans have been opposed. The Republican-controlled House has already endorsed drilling in Alaska.

Interior Secretary Gale A. Norton testified before Congress last week that the area proposed for drilling is "flat, white nothingness" and that it represented the nation's greatest potential for future oil.

But environmentalists see the "nothingness" as unspoiled nature and have said that drilling might ruin it forever.

Some proponents of drilling insist that the land can be protected with modern drilling technology and assert that environmentalists have distorted the debate.

"What's wrong with finding out how much oil we have?" Senator Conrad Burns, a Republican of Montana, said. "It's a land that we can take care of and still use the resources it provides."

But opponents of drilling have accused the other side of distortions too. "The solution to our long-term energy problems is not to just open this environmentally-sensitive area to drilling," Senator Jeff Bingaman, Democrat of New Mexico, said. "This does not reduce in a significant way our dependence on imported oil."

The drilling plan was included in the 2004 budget resolution that the Senate has been debating. Democrats managed today, with the 52-to-48 vote, to pass an amendment excising the drilling plan from the budget resolution.

Now that the drilling plan has been removed from the budget process, Republicans will not be able under the Senate's procedural rules to raise the issue again without gathering at least 60 votes. This is because Democrats can filibuster against it, and a filibuster requires 60 votes to shut down.

Eight Republicans voted against drilling: Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, Norm Coleman of Minnesota, Mike DeWine of Ohio, Peter Fitzgerald of Illinois, John S. McCain of Arizona, Gordon Smith of Oregon and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, both of Maine. So did the lone independent, James Jeffords of Vermont.

Five Democrats voted in favor of drilling: John Breaux and Mary Landrieu, both of Louisiana; Zell Miller of Georgia and Daniel Akaka and Daniel Inouye, both of Hawaii.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

I thought the keystone to Bush's energy plan was to invade Iraq. Now I'm all confused...

Comment

So much for any efforts to reduce our dependence on foreign oil...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        So much for any efforts to reduce our dependence on foreign oil...
        we won't have to worry about being dependent when New Texas, i mean Iraq is rebuilt.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Drake, the amount of oil in the ANWAR is the equivalent of the amount that would have been saved in one year had Congress passed the higher fuel-efficiency standards at the beginning of Bush's presidency.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Drake, the amount of oil in the ANWAR is the equivalent of the amount that would have been saved in one year had Congress passed the higher fuel-efficiency standards at the beginning of Bush's presidency.

I support both. Increased domestic oil production is just as important a factor in weaning ourselves off foreign oil as increased conservation is...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It's about time we enviromentalists score a victory.

NO SELLING OUT TO BIG OIL!!!

Comment

This is good news. It is absurd to spoil a yet untouched environment to reduce dependance to foreign oil when there are other ways to do it.
                I'm glad the senate had balls, for once.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  I support both. Increased domestic oil production is just as important a factor in weaning ourselves off foreign oil as increased conservation is...
                  That's good. I agree. It's just that the amount of oil in ANWAR is insignificant. It would decrease imported oil by about 2% (according to what I'm hearing on NPR). Personally, I don't think it's worth violating the pristine countryside in the ANWAR. Even if it could be done with minimal disturbance, I don't trust Bush to do it.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I mistakenly started another thread on this before seing this one but would repeat my question - will this stick or will Bush and his oil chums be back again for the 2005 appropriations and however many times it takes them to get this?
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Next to Saddam, drilling in ANWAR is probably what Bush has the biggest stiffy for. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Bush is going to dry to suck ANWAR dry until he's out of power. And when he's out of office, he'll probably go back into the oil industry just like his daddy.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                      X