My, that was an interesting day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My, that was an interesting day.

Yesterday, I left for work fat, dumb and happy and then...

1) Downstairs, the unions and managment met about possible upcoming budget cuts. Management stated it had nothing to report because nothing had been decided yet. (So far, so good)

2) The President of our local (a conservative Republican) resigned in protest over some of the ultraliberal actions taken by our union's regional counsel (opposing the war, criticizing Bush, organizing anti-war rallies, etc.)

3) As Vice-President of our local, I become the new President.

4) We learn that, as a budget-cutting measure, managment has begun a new practice of terminating every probationary employee who is about to become permanent and replacing them with a new hire. This new practice directly violates the union's contract.

There's probably about 50 of our members who will be affected by this. So in one friggin' day, I go from happy obscurity to becoming the point man for saving the obs of at least 50 people

WTF just happened here??

what union is that? im currently a teamster...fear my lazy hide!
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Naw, mine is AFSCME (Association of Federal, State, County and Municipal Employees)--government employees.

You're safe. The world will always need teamsters.

Comment

thats only because teamsters create their own demand

but damn, how are you gonna deal with all of this? heavy drinking, or heavy handed negotions or both? good luck!
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Both is sounding really good about now.

I do have a major ace up my sleeve. The decision to get rid of our people was made by some mid-level administrator who has no authority to set policy.

Sacramento has declared that layoffs should be a last resort. The Executive Board which sets policy here in L.A. County hasn't addressed cost-cutting measures yet. I know some of the people on the Board and they would be dead set against getting rid of experienced people.

I'm trying to set up a meeting with the manager who suposedly announced this policy. As soon as I can absolutely nail down that fact that this is happening & if she doesn't back down, I'm going to the members of the Exec. Board and let them know that their managers are instituting practices that violate the Board's polices and that violate the union contract.

Comment

Good luck. You're my new hero.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It took a turn for the better.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Quick, endorse the Labor Party!
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

the US has a labor party?
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

A very small one. It doesn't run in elections, yet. Each state needs to have 5,000 members before it can make the decision to run. Thus, if Zkribbler endorses, California's Labor Party membership jumps towards that goal (although I suspect CA already has members in spades).

Comment

Wow, good luck !
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

I do have a major ace up my sleeve. The decision to get rid of our people was made by some mid-level administrator who has no authority to set policy.
                          Good. Go get em. I hate pencil-neck Eichmanns.

Now for a stirring rendition of Joe Hill.

[Sgt-Major voice] I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night...... [/Sgt-Major voice]
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: My, that was an interesting day.

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            We learn that, as a budget-cutting measure, managment has begun a new practice of terminating every probationary employee who is about to become permanent and replacing them with a new hire. This new practice directly violates the union's contract.
                            Your government practices (or tries to) this dispicable
                            practice? You should warn the new people.

Comment

Re: Re: My, that was an interesting day.

Originally posted by Ozz
                              You should warn the new people.
                              We've gotten reliable reports from two different sources, but before I cause a panic, a want to absolutely pin down that this is now the court's policy...and if not, why is one of our people being terminated at the end of the week. Once I know this is happening the word will go out big time!

Thanks for your support everyone--especially you SpencerH. Your stirring rendition of Joe Hill reminded me of the bloody Pullman strike and other hardships working people have had to endure to obtain decent working conditions. It's scary for me to go up against some of the bigger guns at work, especially because they don't fight fair. But you've reminded me that I can always strap a copy of the history of the labor movement to my spine if it needs stiffening.

Comment

Working...
                              X