US-led war could start before tomorrow's deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US-led war could start before tomorrow's deadline

Will these people ever tell the truth in their public statements? Sure, Hussain probably isn't going anywhere, but would it really hurt for Bush to stick to the deadline which he anounced himself?

-------------

The United States says war against Iraq could begin at any time, without necessarily waiting another 17 hours for the expiry of President Bush's deadline for President Saddam Hussein and his sons to leave Iraq.

White House officials said Mr Bush's language deliberately left open the option of military action before 12:00pm AEDT, the moment 48 hours will have passed since the President addressed the world.

The officials noted that the President said in his speech that the "refusal" as opposed to the "failure" of Saddam Hussein and his sons to leave Iraq before the deadline would result in military conflict commenced at a time of our choosing.

Saddam Hussein has clearly refused to go, so the thinking is that the White House might not feel any constraint on its actions.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Haha

Funny - this just made me think of an old line regarding the war I have saved in my favorite Poly quotes:

“For Bush to attack with so little popular support, he'd have to be totally brainless and have balls the size of Jupiter. It ain't gonna happen. – Zskribbler”

Comment

Bush will probably give him the full time, if for no other reason that to quash future accusations that he didn't give Saddam the chance to give up.

However, Saddam never said he would wait until the deadline before launching a pre-emptive chemical/nerve gas attack on U.S. troops.

Comment

Speak of the Devil!

Comment

Well, it's what I'd do. Tell Saddam he has 48 hours to leave, knowing full well that he has no intention of. Then hit him after 45 hours.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

well, it could happen that saddam&sons do leave. In that case Bush has to make a preemptive strike to stop them!

Comment

Oh yes, can't have him spoil the fun by leaving at the 11th hour.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Zylka, ya got me.

What I didn't foresee was that the U.S. "liberal"media would take up beating Bush's war drum with such enthusiasm that the opinion of the American public would swing from 28% saying we should invade without U.N. support to 62% saying that.

Comment

U.S. Troops Move Toward Border With Iraq

Saddam has made it clear that he's not going anywhere. I don't think Bush will start the war for at least a day or two.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

The ultimatum was rejected by Saddam, its over to the military to say go.
                    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      Zylka, ya got me.

What I didn't foresee was that the U.S. "liberal"media would take up beating Bush's war drum with such enthusiasm that the opinion of the American public would swing from 28% saying we should invade without U.N. support to 62% saying that.
                      Those polls of 28% must have been a US attack without the support of any allies. Polls have been showing support - certainly greater support than 28% - for a while now. Especially after Powell presented the case to the UN.

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

70% supported military action.
                      37% supported a US-only non-UN attack.
                      About 50% would support it there were 1-2 allies supported it, with no UN support.
                      And 85% supported military action if it was a UN supported action.
                      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Well, the US has stated it will attack even if Saddam leaves, so going a bit early isn't too much.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                        - Lone Star

Comment

Well, they're gonna have to wait for the current sandstorm to die down.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The IDF is about to issue an order to all Israeli citizens to carry gasmasks everywhere we go.
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I feel bad about myself now, I feel like a **** for being happy because we just ordered CNN and other channels. I can't believe I'm actually getting entertained . I think I'm a bad person .
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X