No announcement yet.

Commons votes WAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would have been a good speech, if chemical and biological weapons were actually as dangerous as he claims. Plus, he forgot to mention that the 'precursors' are the backbone materials of any decent sanitation and medical infrastructure.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Commons votes WAR!

And the spirit of a Democratic REPUBLIC is that the government does not allow the mob of true democracy to trample over the rights of the minority
      Therefore, Great Britain is not an "enlightened" true democracy. So it really has no moral authority at all to bring "democracy" to Iraq, does it?

(Remember, britain promised to bring democracy to its colonies as well....We see how well that turned out.)

In some cases it is best for the elected representatives to defy the people
      But you'll notice the Civil Rights movement gave rights to people and improved their lives...A war on Iraq will destroy Iraqi infrastructure, and possibly kill thousands of civilians (directly, through bombs. Not indirectly. Indirectly it will probably be much more.).

Granting Civil Rights to persecuted peoples is enlightened, but wars or not

Why now then is parlaiment suddenly undemocratic
      Because its not listening to the people....?

I'm sweet. I gave you an out.
      Translation: Damn
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
        It's not the delivery I care so much. Bush could have read this directly off a sheet of paper and I would have prefered it to last weeks press conference or even Monday's speech. (indeed, I did not see Blair give thespeech, I only read it)
        Yeah, Bush in the last several weeks has essentially been repeating himself. Blair, on the other hand, is enormously persuasive. He made the French look to be what they are: intentionally obstructive. The French could not have had a good faith belief that further cat and mouse game playing would have disarmed Saddam. An utterly convincing portraylal of French mendacity and duplicity.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Therefore, Great Britain is not an "enlightened" true democracy. So it really has no moral authority at all to bring "democracy" to Iraq, does it?

It has the authority to bring republicanism to Iraq. And no one has moral authority over anyone.

But you'll notice the Civil Rights movement gave rights to people and improved their lives...A war on Iraq will destroy Iraqi infrastructure, and possibly kill thousands of civilians (directly, through bombs. Not indirectly. Indirectly it will probably be much more.).

You'll notice the War on Iraq will give rights to people and improved their lives. It will create a democratic republic, where the people can vote on their leaders, leading to more rights and the beginning of new prosperity.

Granting Civil Rights to persecuted peoples is enlightened, but wars or not

What is an is not enlightened is a personal preference.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You'll notice the War on Iraq will give rights to people and improved their lives. It will create a democratic republic, where the people can vote on their leaders, leading to more rights and the beginning of new prosperity.
            I was hoping you would say that

If the entire country is in ruins, rihts wont really matter will they (Just look at Afghanistan)? AND the US has said that they'll install a military dictatorship until "democratic reforms can begin". How long will that take?! Until all the oil has run out?

What is an is not enlightened is a personal preference.
            Answer the following with a yes or no question: Is this war enlightened?

Comment

Remember, britain promised to bring democracy to its colonies as well....We see how well that turned out.

Australia... Canada... India... South Africa...

Looks like they did a decent job to me.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Remember, britain promised to bring democracy to its colonies as well....We see how well that turned out.

Australia... Canada... India... South Africa...

Looks like they did a decent job to me.
                But you see, they arent the ones who did it Lets look at India....They taxed them heavily, murdered them, etc etc.....It was much more like a dictatorship

Then it got independance and against all odds, became a democracy.

Also, wasn't Australia a former Penal colony?

Comment

Nice try, Tass.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Nice try, Tass.
                    Thanks. I've been practicing

Comment

• If the entire country is in ruins, rihts wont really matter will they

Because of course, after WW2, when Britain, France, Italy and West Germany were in ruins, political rights didn't make any difference, and they are still third world countries today .

Answer the following with a yes or no question: Is this war enlightened?

To me? Yes, this war is.

Lets look at India....They taxed them heavily, murdered them, etc etc.....It was much more like a dictatorship

You do need to look at the history of India. While it was true that the British weren't nice, they gave a LOT of local authority. Raj's owned great kingdoms. After the Indian Rebellion of the 1870s (about then), India was basically left alone.

Then it got independance and against all odds, became a democracy.

They became a republic BECAUSE of British education and values. Even today, Indians are taught in schools that use British education. They very much respect Great Britain.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• British Parliament Declares War on CBeasts!
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Because of course, after WW2, when Britain, France, Italy and West Germany were in ruins, political rights didn't make any difference, and they are still third world countries today .
                          Yes. George Bush won WW2, didnt he?

Afghanistan is in ruins. There are basically two countries there now: Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, and Islamic Republic of Kabul The country is not quite rebuilding much at all, and warlords still rule most of it

To me? Yes, this war is.
                          Nuff said.

While it was true that the British weren't nice, they gave a LOT of local authority.
                          Does it really matter if they can come in at any time and kill you?!

They very much respect Great Britain.

Apparently, SOMEONE hasn't been to India. And trust me, I've visited Bombay, New Dehli, and Calcutta before.

Comment

• Close one.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I've enjoyed this little tete-e-tete, but I have more important matters to attend to.

(Or whatever it is)

Comment

• What I want to know is why Blair didn't give the Commons a free vote on this. Surely it's more a matter of conscience than of policy.
                                "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                                X