Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't international air travel from Hong Kong and China being discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't international air travel from Hong Kong and China being discontinued?

If the new disease is so bad, why do they take the chance?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

that's not politically correct.

Comment

There's only been 150 cases or so, and it doesn't appear to be that infectious. Plus only a 5-10% fatality rate means that it doesn't appear to be much worse than a meningitis outbreak.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

well that's good. the news makes it sound so bad. Why do they have to dramatize it so much. They act like this is a biological attack of some sort.

Comment

Because the economic consequences of shutting down the biggest airhub in the region would be immense? Cause it would create a feeling of panic that should not exist? cause airlines and importer/exporters don't want to lose millions?
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

that too

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              well that's good. the news makes it sound so bad. Why do they have to dramatize it so much. They act like this is a biological attack of some sort.
              Fear mongering is what the media is all about.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Hmmm cheaper flights!
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

17-03-2003 23:32
                  link

Why isn't international air travel from Hong Kong and China being discontinued?

If the new disease is so bad, why do they take the chance?

Hm... 17-03-2003 23:32... That is 23:32 GMT+1, so that would make it 5:32 EST for Americans.

Kind of late to suggest this Lancer, considering there are already victims in Europe, Africa and the US...
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                    There's only been 150 cases or so, and it doesn't appear to be that infectious. Plus only a 5-10% fatality rate means that it doesn't appear to be much worse than a meningitis outbreak.
                    Last I counted the fatality rate was about 3%. Kinda wimpy for an epidemic.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I thought 9 dead and 150 cases...

=6%
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Regular old run-o-the-mill pneumonia that we see here in Ann Arbor all the time has a higher fatality rate than this illness.

Much ado about nothing.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

It depends on how you count then.

If you just include the cases in Canda, it's very nasty
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yup. We're running a 22% fatality rate.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

the US...
                              The US? Do you mean Canada?

Hanoi has reported at least 42 cases of the illness, Hong Kong has 43, Singapore at least 16. Tapei reported three people hospitalized with flu-like symptoms. Guangdong province, which adjoins Hong Kong in China, reported 305 cases by mid-February, including five deaths.
                              Of course, one of the problems is that they aren't sure all of these are the same disease.

With about ~450 cases and about 8 or 9 deaths, the fatality rate is about 2% (although we don't know how many of those in serious conditions will survive).
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X