Savings rate still in the red: another very disturbing economic statistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Case

I fail to see how increased household and business saving offers a fix to the current US economic problems. In recessions, businesses and people generally tend to over-save due to fears about their financial security, and this causes consumption to fall, resulting in the economy slowing further.

As such, the only reason to encourage increased saving in a recession is to make money available to businesses so that they can expand. However, as US interest rates are already fairly low, I really don't see this as justification for encouraging more people to sit on their pay-checks and businesses to stash their profits away in the bank.

While the US debt situation appears to be serious, IMO it would be best to wait for a genuine economic recovery before trying to tackle it.
    Good point. The Economist supports the Bush tax cuts, because they believe that it will increase the savings rate and stimulate spending at the same time. I disagree though. The lower income groups are more in debt and they won't be getting the tax cut. We need a stimulus that will allow the lower income groups to pay off their debt.
    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well housing starts are down now. I'll eat my hat if there's now recession this year.

Comment

America is a debtor's society... it's bound to catch up with us sooner or later.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Greenspan might be considering their theories, which might explain his reluctance to lower interest rates right now.
          Possibly he doesn't want to get in the position that Japan is now and is trying to ensure that he can cut interest rates a lot if things get really bad.

Good article, if I wasn't an impoverished student I'd buy an Economist subsciption despite the right-wing slant. It seems like the US economy is in a bit of a bind since we had a couple years of really low savings rates but we can't get them back up to normal without dropping spending and possibly getting in a downward spiral. Its times like this that I'm happy that I'm used to a college student level of spending...
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
            Good article, if I wasn't an impoverished student I'd buy an Economist subsciption despite the right-wing slant.
            IMHO there are many better online magazines that are free. The Economist, as well as having a right-wing slant, is a little too political for me. If that's what you want, it's great, but if I wanted to read about economics, I wouldn't be reading that. Just my opinion though, I'm sure others like it.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Possibly he doesn't want to get in the position that Japan is now and is trying to ensure that he can cut interest rates a lot if things get really bad.
              After things get really bad its too late. There is at least a 6 month lag before the lower interests rates even start to work. He's too conservative.

Good article, if I wasn't an impoverished student I'd buy an Economist subsciption despite the right-wing slant. It seems like the US economy is in a bit of a bind since we had a couple years of really low savings rates but we can't get them back up to normal without dropping spending and possibly getting in a downward spiral. Its times like this that I'm happy that I'm used to a college student level of spending...
              Amen to that. I'm going back to school next semester too.

Comment

is a little too political for me
                I like that, its a good source for international political news.

After things get really bad its too late. There is at least a 6 month lag before the lower interests rates even start to work. He's too conservative.
                Yeah but what if we get stuck in a few years of stagnation like Japan, if we don't have a few % points of give then we're ****ed badly.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Yeah but what if we get stuck in a few years of stagnation like Japan, if we don't have a few % points of give then we're ****ed badly.
                  We can't let it get as bad as Japan. Just because we drop our interest rates down right now doesn't mean that things are as bad as they are in Japan. If the economy improves because of the measure then we could avoid a recession. However, if we wait until we are in a recession the drop in interest rates will have a smaller effect. Larger stimulus will be needed, but we won't be able to use the interest rate as a tool. I say since interest rates are so close to zero right now we are in serious danger and we can't risk a recession. Everything should be done immediately to avoid one.

Comment

I really don't think that the US's current situation can be compared to Japan's. Japan's woes are the fault of the country's failure to reform it's outdated financial system and to reduce government intervention in the economy. AFAIK, the US's economic structure is OK, and this recession is largely the hangover from the stockmarket bubble of the 90s combined with lower consumer and business confidence.

As such, the correct responce by the US authorities would be to kick start the economy through increased government spending while trying to stabalise the international situation to encourage business investment and consumer spending.
                    Note; when I say government spending, I'm not talking about tax cuts: from what I understand, the US Federal and State Governments tax bases are already too small to balance the government deficit over the economic cycle.

Good article, if I wasn't an impoverished student I'd buy an Economist subsciption despite the right-wing slant.
                    Ditto. The Economist is also great magazine for long flights - on my way home from Europe I bought a copy in Paris and finished it over India.
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                    X