Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club: May Votes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anvil of the Stars is hardc0re sci-fi.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Robinson definately did his science homework when writing the book. Years later, I've come across stuf in science magazines on some of the same things Robinson used in his story, and his science is good.

Everyone I knew who had the book devoured it and went nuts waiting for the next installment of the book to come out. Heck, I almost bought the hardcover copy of Blue Mars.

It's science, adventure, romance, mystery, and politics all melded together.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress has all of that, plus the overthrowing of a state owned corporation that everything on the Lunar Colony has to go through in order to be sold on earth.

Yeah free-market!
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

What the Hell is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Chop Liver?
          Spoiler for those who haven't already read the book:

Spoiler:

If by "chop liver" you mean a "simple-minded poltical-adventure novel with a deus ex machina driven plot", then yes, it's chop liver.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Screw you, Hippie!

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
              Screw you, Hippie!

Have you read Farnham's Freehold? That's right up your alley...

A description is here:

Probably the better novel regarding Heinlein's personal philosophy.

Edit for spelling, part II
              Last edited by Static Universe; March 19, 2003, 17:45.
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

DP (hit Quote instead of Edit)

Comment

I'm joining this here club.
                  I'm surprised no one has nominated at least the first book in the "Riverworld" series by Philip Jose Farmer, especially considering it debuts as a series (film?) on the Sci Fi channel this Saturday.
                  In any case, I have read/would like to read most of the nominated books...
                  I just bought Red Mars but haven't been able to get into it much yet. Seems dumb so far.
                  Life and death is a grave matter;
                  all things pass quickly away.
                  Each of you must be completely alert;
                  never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

--"I thought this was a Scooby Doo expression?"

What chegitz said probably is, but I was talking about what he was responding to, which happens to be a Japanese phrase that certainly isn't from Scooby Doo (since it doesn't translate to "jinkies").

Crud. Now you've made me curious to see an episode of Scooby Doo dubbed into Japanese.

--"It's science, adventure, romance, mystery, and politics all melded together."

Dunno, it seemed a bit too dry for me. Not that it's a bad book, just that it wasn't the best example of hard sci-fi I've ever read.

--"I'm surprised no one has nominated at least the first book in the "Riverworld" series"

Wow, jumping right back to the science-fantasy genre, eh? Not sure how well that fits. I mean, okay, it is set in the distant future and whatnot, but most of it is set in what's effectively Robinson Crusoe.

Wraith
                    Maybe I don't FEEL like smiling

Comment

Red Marss is one of the few books I have not finished

Jon Mille
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Only 8 more votes for Half Life to win!

Wraith, I'd count Riverworld as being science fiction. Unlikely, yes, but still science fiction.

Comment

^bump^

I'm assuming this is still open...

Comment

Yes it is. Thank you, Static.

[moderator hat ON]

5 more days to vote! And remember to re-read Enders Game by next week. I did and was surprised at how well it has held up.

[hat OFF]

Comment

Great, it's looking like I'm going to have to go through the 40 boxes of books in my basement to find my copy of Harsh Mistress.

Comment

Ancient Sumerian Curse: May your scroll always be in the final box.

Comment

Working...
                                X