Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Jones

Two articles by one of the founders of Monty Python:

Terry Jones: I'm really excited by George Bush's latest reason for bombing Iraq: he's running out of patience. And so am I!

Terry Jones has no objection to George Bush wanting to kill Saddam Hussein. But is dropping 3000 bombs on Baghdad in 48 hours really the way to do it?
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Why do celebrities all of the sudden believe that they have any special credibility when talking about foreign policy?

Just like the Dixie Chicks, they are better left ignored. Or boycotted.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

they have the access to the media that the rest of us don't. at least terry jones is using this to voice the fears of most non famous ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Why do celebrities all of the sudden believe that they have any special credibility when talking about foreign policy?

I agree for all celebrities, except for Terry Jones in this particular case. I found it really funny, but that is just me

BTW he does not act here as an interviewed celebrity, but as a writer.
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

The anti-celebrities argument is fallacious; it is just a version of an ad hominem argument: i.e. you're a celebrity so I can ignore what you say.

The correct way to proceed is read the celebrity's argument and evaluate it on its own merits. A good argument is a good argument, even if Mariah Carey reads it out it while standing naked in a vat of warm custard.

I think Jones does a good job of pointing out the morally absurd logic of the Bush position. And in fact some of the celebrities are bright people with good arguments: I saw Janeane Garofalo get the better of Tucker Carlson last week. Perhaps Ms Garofalo should become a political pundit and Mr Carlson should become an indieish film actor.

And if we are going to talk qualifications: who in their right mind thinks that stupid b***h Paula Zahn's opinions on the Iraqi crisis are worth anything? Or any of the other bimbos that read the news, or that fathead moron Jonah Goldberg (who manages to make himself look dafter the more he speaks)?
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Why are you so inflamed? What's the difference with Terry Jone's pieces from an op-ed in a newspaper? I don't see you get all huffed up with editorials supporting Gulf War II.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR - they seem to think that a person has more credibility if they are paid by a think tank, even though that requires one to sacrifice objectivity on the issue since think tanks only pay for agreement.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

As opposed to b-grade actors, who didn't fight in WWII, acted as mouthpieces for corporate America on t.v. and radio, evince no great depth of intellect and end up as Governor of California and President.

What were Reagan's qualifications exactly?

An ability to read scripts written for him?

Mr. Jones is at least able to write his own pieces. And speak in coherent joined up sentences- even when caught on the hop.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Tell me, what argument do you resort to if the person in question dosen't like Reagan?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It doesn't matter if the other person likes Reagan or not. That's not the point.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                    X