Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footprints from 350,000 B.C

Pretty cool.

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

Scientists say Paleolithic humans left behind trails
    in Italian volcanic terrain

By Rick Callahan
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

March 12 — Italian scientists have discovered three fossilized trails of footprints that early humans left about 350,000 years ago as they descended the treacherous flanks of an active volcano. The scientists believe the footprints are the oldest such prints ever uncovered of Paleolithic humans, who preceded modern humans.

OTHER SCIENTISTS said that while the prints appear well-preserved, they add little to knowledge about human evolution. Instead, they said the tracks’ main value is their sobering testament to three long-ago journeys across a harsh terrain.
    One of the footprint trails found in the rugged volcanic terrain in southern Italy zigzags to follow a steep incline’s safest path down. Another includes handprints that an individual left as he or she negotiated a precarious spot, only to slide a short ways down the slope.
    “You’re looking at an event that happened 350,000 years ago — someone made an imprint on a surface, walking in a way you’d expect to see someone in these same conditions walk today,” said Owen Lovejoy, an anthropologist at Kent State University who was not involved in the research.
    “It adds another cog in the connect between ourselves and our ancestors.”
    Who left the 56 footprints isn’t clear. But their discoverers suggest either late Homo erectus or Homo heidelbergensis — two early human species found in Europe during the Paleolithic era.
    The findings appear in Thursday’s issue of the journal Nature.

PETITE PRINTS
    The footprints’ makers were short — just under 5 feet (1.5 meters) tall — based on the prints’ petite size of less than 8 inches (20 centimeters) in length, the researchers said.
    Like footprints in wet sand, the trails were left by three individuals who walked across a cooled but recent pyroclastic flow, a dense mixture of rock fragments, ash and gases.
    A graphic shows a cutaway of the slope with the footprints known as "devil's trails," as well as handprints where the walker tried to steady himself or herself.
    A short time later, the volcano erupted again, blanketing the footprints with a thick layer of ash that preserved them for the ages, said Paolo Mietto of the University of Padua, Italy.
    The tracks, the longest of which contains 27 footprints, show that their owners were descending, not climbing, the Roccamonfina volcano complex, north of present-day Naples, he said.
    “The idea that these humans were escaping an eruption ... is attractive, and is supported by the fact that all tracks have the same direction, outwards from the volcano’s main crater,” said Mietto, who concedes that such a scenario is only a theory.
    The footprints have been dated at between 325,000 and 385,000 years. At that time, Mietto said southern Italy was covered with forests, mountains and the same volcanic ranges still found there. For humans, life in that era was almost certainly brutal and relatively brief.
    Local residents had long known of the footprints, and referred collectively to them and fossilized animal tracks also preserved near the volcano as “devils’ trails.”
    Two amateur archaeologists told Mietto about the tracks, and he and a colleague visited the site. They soon realized that early humans left them.
    Mietto said the prints are unmistakably human in origin, as some preserve the foot’s plantar arch and individual toeprints.

NO SURPRISE

The fact that the early humans who left the tracks walked upright on two feet is no surprise because that ability dates back millions of years, said Tim White, a University of California paleontologist who co-discovered the famous “Lucy” hominid fossil in Ethiopia in 1974.
    That nearly complete fossil belongs to a species now known as Australopithecus afarensis, a primate the size of chimpanzee that walked upright.
    Footprints left by the same creatures were found in 1977 in Tanzania, imprinted in volcanic mud 3.6 million years old — making them 10 times older than the new discovery. Because the new tracks are comparatively recent, White said they shed no light on human origins.
    “The bottom line is that these are interesting curiosities that do not advance our knowledge of what happened when in human evolution,” he said.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Another damned evilutionist lie!!!!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Cool stuff.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

There is nothing "cool" about that.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's it? Criticism over terminology, is all you have to say?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

HOW CAN THIS BE? MY FEEBLE BRAINWASHED MIND BELIEVES THE WORLD CANOT POSSIBLY BE OVER 6000 YEARS OLD!
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

They are lies, deceptions by the devil to trick man into betraying God, thus the local name for them: "devils' trails."
              "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Well, since all you nimrods focus on are the religion bashing...

Comment

It says in the article that the discovery is unimportant. What else is left to do?
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Unimportant in regard to evolution theories.
                    As far as time vs. religion, I've always felt time was all relative.

I thought it was interesting reading about the 3 people and their attempt to escape a lava flow.

Comment

Human interest stories are boring.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I made those footprints. The continuos trail in the middle is my d!ck dragging across the ground...
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I find it interesting that they did not wear shoes.
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Could be of Neanderthals, since current theory does not have modern Humans coming out of Africa until 200,000 years later.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

But Neanderthals were supposed to be quite huge.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X