Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playstation 2: Is this a hardware problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playstation 2: Is this a hardware problem?

Alright, I've had this thing for a little over two months now so I think it's still under warrenty. I think my main problem may be psychological, since when I bought it the lady asked me if I wanted the 2 year Best Buy warrenty thing, and I was $10 short for it, but anyway...

Here's what I'm wondering is a problem: when I put a disk into the drive and it first starts up, there's a little squeaky noise. It sounds like it MAY be a belt, but from fiddling with it, I think it's just the disk spinning against the plastic tray. BASICALLY, I'm just wondering if you PS2 users could tell me if this is normal. Could you please put a disk in the drive and see if yours makes this sound too? Thank you!

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any technical issues revolving around this sound. I've tried over and over again to look on the internet for support, but have come up with nothing.

Thank you!

I've heard of tons of problem regarding the PS2's DVD drive.

Edit: That's a different class-action lawsuit than I intended, it's not really relevant. Oh well
    Last edited by Asher; March 14, 2003, 04:43.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Mine works fine, been a long time Eroberer

Comment

Hey Berzerker, yea it has. I'd reminisce but it's awfully late here.

You kind of have to listen closely to hear it. I can't just put one in and then back off and hear anything. Stupid thing. I think I'll go back to Best Buy to see what they can do about it all.

Hey Asher, are you saying you've heard that the DVD drives have problems like I'm describing, or that they just can't play some DVDs?

Comment

There's a class action lawsuit against Sony for the quality of the DVD player.

Thousands of people get those "dirty disk" type errors out of nowhere for no reason, and need to send the PS2 back for extensive repair. On other people, the tray never can open. Others, it makes weird noises...

If the device is under warranty at Best Buy still, see if you can get it replaced at the store.
          Otherwise you're forced to mail it out to Sony and who knows how long it'll take or how much it'll cost to fix it. So keep using it until it doesn't work...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thanks Asher. I'm probably going to look into it further now.

Bump! Could people please just help me out by putting in a disk and listening closely?!? Thank you!

Comment

Mine doesn't exactly make a squeak as such, more a vrizzzzz noise. Works fine though.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Thanks for checking. From all that I've done, it just sounds like the disc rubbing against the side of the tray while it's being picked up. I really wish Google weren't so useless for this topic.

edit: I meant to add that it is a "vrizzzz" type sounds, since it's definitely something spinning and "squeaking."

Comment

Do you have it vertical or horizontal?
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

I usually keep it vertical to save space, but it makes the sound either way. I've just been playing around with it...moving the disc around in it and such, and it squeaks the most when I lodge it far down into that crevass, and the least when I try to center it. I've also tried opening and closing it real fast to see if it's a belt (since I assume the thing inside the machine won't stop spinning immediately), and it still makes the sound all the same. My research into this is vast and varied, but with no conclusions, complicated by that nagging fact that I wouldn't be worrying about this if I had've just had the extra $10 the day I bought it.

I'm still looking around for a number to Best Buy to get tech support on the phone.

Comment

Mine doesn't make any kind of sound and it's vertical. Maybe you just need to WD-40 the gears?

On a slightly related note...my friends PS2 disc tray was having track problems and the thing couldn't close all the way, he had to adjust it a little so that it would close. But he's had it for over 2 years and treats it like crap.

But I'd probably go w/Asher and use that Best Buy warranty. Get yourself a new one.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

There have been, and still are to an extent, huge problems with the PS2, especially in terms of reading DVDs and certain types of games.

Remember, too, that it only has a 90 day warranty - not 90 days through Best Buy, but 90 days, period, through Sony.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X