Getting rid of gatorware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of gatorware

Oh crap, this is what happens when you let your brother touch your computer while you're at class. He was playing some online game somewhere and the website convinced him to download and install Gator. How should I go about removing every last trace of this adware? I've heard it's pretty resilient and even unistalling it can leave pieces behind.

Spybot will do it, I think.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, unless you do *something* quickly you'll wake up one day and see that damn Gator logo in the arse of your pants and be asked whether you'd like to remember the password for your zipper.

Have you considered burning the 'puter?
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

You misspelled Gatesware.

I don't know how with Gatorware in particular, but in general Ad-Aware does pretty good in removing adware.

Comment

You should install Linux, spyware won't get installed because you'll never figure out how to do it.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            You should install Linux, spyware won't get installed because you'll never figure out how to do it.

H Tower, you can find Spybot here; good luck!

Comment

You should install MacOS, spyware won't get installed because there's no point in spying on someone who shops for flowers on eBay.

Edit: If my cat didn't spill my drink those would have been consecutive posts.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Hm, sorry about that

Comment

Har har har.
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    That's what manpages, infopages, README's, HOWTO's and RFC's are for

Or shorter, RTFM!

Comment

Asher's on a roll!

Yeah, one of the spyware removing programs should get rid of that evil program.
                      And a free tip: BIOS password.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                        Hm, sorry about that

Originally posted by monolith94
                        Har har har.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          And a free tip: BIOS password.
                          My dad thought he was so clever when he set a BIOS password on the family computer when I was younger (before I had my own), whenever I was grounded.

He didn't even know that the BIOS password could be overridden quite easily if you have access to the motherboard. To this day he assumes I'd hacked his passwords.

He still thinks I'm some kind of hacker and swears I'm going to be hauled off one of these days.

Comment

and if that doesn't work just reformat your harddrive. That's always my advice.

I like to clean up my hard drive every so often anyways.

Comment

He didn't even know that the BIOS password could be overridden quite easily if you have access to the motherboard.

This is someone who downloaded and installed gator. I think its pretty safe to conclude that he doesn't know much about computers.

Good work on getting around your grounding.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X