MySQL: Multiple Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL: Multiple Users?

before you flame, i am RTFM-ing right now, i'm just sure if any of you know about it you'll save me some time.

i never had to set up multiple users for MySQL, because i was the only one using the hosting. my bud says he'd put some money in if he could use the hosting too. i could use some more ram.

basically, i don't want him to be able to access my data, and the only thing i can think of would be a different username / password for him with a rule on which tables he could use.

ideas? is this even possible?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Why not just use two different databases if you don't want the other person to access your data?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      Why not just use two different database if you don't want the other person to access your data?
      install mysql twice and use different ports?

that'll be a last resort, just curious if there are users.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

MySQL has a users system built in, and you can create users within the database, and give them specific rights. So yes, you can have alot of different users.

It is not an exaggeration to say that I am the king of databases, ask your database questions away.

Are you putting this on Windows, Linux, or UNIX?
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
          install mysql twice and use different ports?

mySQL is not a database, it's the software. It can handle multiple databases, not just one.

that'll be a last resort, just curious if there are users.
          Yeah, there are users.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            MySQL has a users system built in, and you can create users within the database, and give them specific rights. So yes, you can have alot of different users.

It is not an exaggeration to say that I am the king of databases, ask your database questions away.

Are you putting this on Windows, Linux, or UNIX?
            windows

Comment

Here you go:
              Pax Superiore Vi Tellarum
              Equal Opportunity Killer: We will kill regardless of race, creed, color,
              gender, sexual preference,or age

Comment

windows
                You should get a GUI tool for MySQL, it will make your life easier, so then you can do everything visually.

Do you have Apache or PHP on that thing?
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You should get a GUI tool for MySQL, it will make your life easier, so then you can do everything visually.

Do you have Apache or PHP on that thing?
                  both, and the win mysql coems with a MySQL Admin tool, but i dotn see any user stuff

Comment

You need a GUI front end for SQL? Wuz!

Comment

Striker: do you know of any good GUIs?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You need a GUI front end for SQL? Wuz!
                        I didn't say I needed one.

Comment

Striker: do you know of any good GUIs?
                          PHP My Admin is the most popular tool:

Comment

i have phpmyadmin.

Comment

ah, i found the users section

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X