No announcement yet.

World's first brain prosthesis revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one understands how the hippocampus encodes information. So the team simply copied its behaviour.
    ...Hey, I don't think these guys have yet realized what they've got!

Surely you don't HAVE to know what these signals mean! Just hook up someone with a modified version of one of these, and record everything being sent to long-term memory while the subject is white-water rafting down the Colorado (or having sex with Jenna Jameson, ahem).

Then play the same signals back through one in someone else's brain, and he gets the memories...

OK, there's probably a few glitches to work out. But the potential is enormous...

Comment

Omg, I never considered that Jack. Omg omg omg. Memory transfer!
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Looking at the bonanza the legislators and lawyers (at least in the UK) have had with issues about cloning and rights to genetic information the prospect of them getting loose and ruling on the legalities of memory implants is awful!
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

wow, Jack
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

"I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier..."

Mind/Machine Interface R0X0R5!!!
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Now, suppose, JUST SUPPOSE, that we've mastered the technology of making hardware that we will be able to transfer our brains to.

Now if we only could reverse-transcript computer information into neural networks....
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
              X