Help Tassadar lest his computer fall into oblivion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Tassadar lest his computer fall into oblivion

I need to know what type of RAM i have. Whether it be DDR or whatever, I need to know.

So?
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

How old's your computer?
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

my ram has a sticker on it with the type listed
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

What's the make and model of the computer?
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
          What's the make and model of the computer?
          Bout 3 years old, Compaq Presario 5000 (I know, it sucks, so save the comments). I'm buying a new one, and I'm hoping I can simply transfer RAM sticks instead of buying completly new sticks, but....They need to be the same tyep.
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

$5 says it's PC100 SDRAM (not DDR).
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I place my bet on that too and rise it to 5 USD, rather than 5 CDN.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Definitely PC100. You have three slots, one taken by the 64MB RAM that came with the system (assuming you didn't upgrade the RAM when you bought the comp...).

Also, if you're buying a new computer, you won't be able to transfer the PC100 sticks to the new comp.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

It may vary on different systems, but my computer reports the memory type in one of the screens during boot up, but it goes by fast though. There's a way of going through each phase of the boot up step by step, so you could read it. But I forget how to do that.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I think these guys are right, but you can check here at Compaq's spare parts store. You pick the memory category and it lets you pick a model. It should tell you what kind of memory you can use.
                    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, like Asher et al I am pretty sure it will be a PC100 system, mine is a PC100 system and my computer is just a few months over 3 years old...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

...also note that although it says PC100, it will use PC133 RAM, just downgraded to 100MHz as the 133MHz rated RAM curiously seems to be cheaper They are exactly the same thing...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                          There's a way of going through each phase of the boot up step by step, so you could read it. But I forget how to do that.
                          Press F8

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Bout 3 years old, Compaq Presario 5000 (I know, it sucks, so save the comments). I'm buying a new one, and I'm hoping I can simply transfer RAM sticks instead of buying completly new sticks, but....They need to be the same tyep.
                            Crack open the case, check out the stickers on your motherboard to find out who made it. Then go here:

Find affordable PCs and accessories at PCHomeWorld. Enjoy unbeatable prices, exclusive discounts, and a wide selection. Shop now for the best deals!

fill in as much info as you can about your board and it will tell you the specs of the RAM you are looking for. When you know that go here to get the best price:

Here's an example: http://www.nextag.com/Kingston_512MB...088zmainz2-htm

Comment

3 years old? PC133.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X