Hperthetical (Uk vs Iraq)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hperthetical (Uk vs Iraq)

Could the UK mount a successful lone invasion of Iraq with a) the 35,000 men it aleready has in theatre, if not b) if we geared up to wholesale a unilateral offensive. Would you think UK has the military might to succeed in such an operation?

No. We simply don't have the power projection capabilities to mount a successful lone invasion of Iraq.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

It would take about 3 years to build up enough forces and men to do it form the base we have.

ONTOH the UK forces could proably defend Kuwait from any Iraqi attack
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Probably not. A more interesting question is, could the US invade the UK successfully given that the US goes all out and that nobody else is involved?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Probably not. A more interesting question is, could the US invade the UK successfully given that the US goes all out and that nobody else is involved?
          It could do it but the casualties would make Vitenam look like a holiday.
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

We should just nuke em.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              They'd win eventually, but they'd give the term "Phyrric victory" a whole new meaning in the process.
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Comment

You have to decide what the objective of the war would be in order to answer the question.

Could 35K troops 'conquer' and hold Iraq. No

Could 35K professional troops kick butt against waves of Iraqi amateurs? The British empire was built on just that superiority and the Falklands and Desert storm re-iterated that point. So a short term engagement to achieve a specific objective such as driving Iraqi troops in the south back to Baghdad. Yes.

Two factors would decide a conventional war. Could the UK maintain air superiority without losing too many aircraft? Could the UK keep their forces supplied for enough time to achieve their objectives?
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

No, the UK forces could win battles but not a protracted war.

The UK armed forces were largely changed from a global to a european capability in the 80's and early 90's so the infrastructure and numbers to conquer a country like Iraq simply don't exist.

The new carriers just ordered for the Royal Navy may mark the start of a reversal of that trend but it is too early to say. There probably isn't the money for a significant global capability anyway. Only the US has the economic muscle to support that kind of capability at present.

It is usually easier to defend than attack though, especially given similar levels of military technology (which the Iraqis don't have).
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Based on the film "The Full monty" I have concluded that all British people are fat lamers, and that we could therefore invade successfully.

However "lock stock and two smocking barrels" seems to indicate that there are some violent people in the UK - we might lose a few dozen soldiers, I guess.
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

You might not have too much trouble taking England and Wales, but if you've seen "Braveheart" you ought to be aware that Scotland wouldn't be a pushover.

Comment

We don't want scotland anyway... Bunch a dress wearin haggis eatin bagpipe playin fools! We could team up with them actually, to free them from english oppression!
                        Drake Tungsten
                        Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                          We don't want scotland anyway... Bunch a dress wearin haggis eatin bagpipe playin fools!
                          Try going to Scotland and saying that. Go on, I dare ya...

Comment

There are plenty of places in Scotland with no Scottish people in listening distance so yes, ok, I will...
                            [/point taken]
                            Drake Tungsten
                            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                              Based on the film "The Full monty" I have concluded that all British people are fat lamers, and that we could therefore invade successfully.
                              How ironic, a citizen of the fatest country in the world calling the brits fat.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X