This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - Crouch and Hold!

Hey Havak! You never said if you were willing to bet 50 gold on England beating SA by more points than NZ in the World Cup!

...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

You assume, do you not, that England will actually beat the Boks, period?

Of course, the return of Darth Jonno (apparently his achilles wasn't quite as serious as it was for the real Achilles ) may increase their chances somewhat -against the Scottish-types too next week no doubt.
    I noticed an article about it (his return that is) this morning, although I should've really recognized the familiar gnashing sound drifting across the Nullabor by now ...

Comment

The Boks used to be able to beat England.

Comment

One used to be able to buy a typewriter ribbon too.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
          You assume, do you not, that England will actually beat the Boks, period?

Of course, the return of Darth Jonno (apparently his achilles wasn't quite as serious as it was for the real Achilles ) may increase their chances somewhat -against the Scottish-types too next week no doubt.
          I noticed an article about it (his return that is) this morning, although I should've really recognized the familiar gnashing sound drifting across the Nullabor by now ...
          What? It's Friday, is it? Jeez, this week has flown by ...
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Re: Rugby - Crouch and Hold!

Originally posted by Caligastia
            Hey Havak! You never said if you were willing to bet 50 gold on England beating SA by more points than NZ in the World Cup!

It took severe arm-twisting and more than a few aspersions cast in the direction of his gumption before he'd bet me the ABs wouldn't win the WRC. Don't hold your breath. I suspect Havak still has his first twopence pocketmoney wrapped in his hankie.
            Last edited by finbar; March 12, 2003, 04:07.

Comment

Easily. Can't you? You can see it and hear it. And, if you're a sensitive soul like me, you feel it.
              Well you know me – I prefer to be there in person. As I am sure you will agree TV does not match that?

They just don't attract anything like the crowds to generate the level of atmosphere.
              Well to be fair the grounds you are seeing are, shall we say, cosy. Even Welford Road only has a 17000 capacity. It gives that packed lively atmosphere you are seeing. And yes corporate boxes are with us – over a ‘proletariat’ stand at Tigers on the Welford road side of the ground. The club house is the Aylestone road side and has a ‘Presidents’ balcony – very grand.

If you see a game at on eof the clubs sharing a soccer ground – like Saracens at a 40000 capacity ground they barely quarter fill – it is not so impressive.

Sadly I never made Adelaide – I thought the Gabba was okay though rather detached from the field of play (being a cricket venue normally) and the Colonial is fine if you want to eat junk food or drink in the social areas but again there is too much dead space around the field – I like to be nearer the touch line myself.

Juxtapose the words "Australian" and "think" and a qualifier is an imperative.
              Good grief you force my brain to get into gear very early in my day sometimes!

I suspect the Irish have an inferiority complex but it probably manifests in other ways. The Australian inferiority complex manifests as you have observed.
              I’m sure you are right but I couldn’t say what it is for them. The pace of life there is markedly different so they may still be thinking about it.

One of the primary ways the English show this complex is in their unwillingness to try another language for fear of looking foolish to foreigners I suspect.

Me I will give it a punt and happily look a fool – “Vingt grand pression svp”. That and a bit of sign language works wonders – I don’t blame Tamerlin’s countrymen for getting annoyed when a rugby tour rolls into town and someone says “twenty beers please mate” – I’ve seen this to often myself.

"What do you think of Australia?". And it still happens. Pathetic, really.
              At the very least it shows a journo bereft of ideas. It’s a question to ask as they leave of course – but sadly I have to say this happens here too – after the questions about age and who they are currently dating with our tabloids though.

Safety in numbers, bub.
              It must be obvious by now that being the lone keeper of the English faith holds no fear for me?

Jeez, I hate people like that!
              He’s okay – he just used to be a Manager and has trouble adjusting to now being able to admit being wrong.

I didn’t? I was probably waiting to see McCaw and Jack in action before deciding.

But what the heck - it sounds like fun – lets do it!

the return of Darth Jonno
              It still makes a huge difference to them, as worrying as that is come RWC. Also returning are Back and Cohen – so the Scavenger and Predator are back too. This should allow a more impressive showing against the Scots – fingers crossed.

Hodgson is out for six months with a crucian problem – gives us problems covering Wilko in Australia. It might have to be Healey (Finbar builds up a head of steam as I write the name…look on the bright side that is good news for everyone else).

The Boks used to be able to beat England.
              When they play rugby they might still be able to. As oft noted their game has become dominated by contact play – on and off the ball – recently and it prevents them playing. So why do they persist? It defeats me!
              I suspect Havak still has his first twopence pocketmoney wrapped in his hankie.
              Which in turn was deposited in a savings account. I like my pocket money to work for me.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                Well you know me ? I prefer to be there in person. As I am sure you will agree TV does not match that?
                Too true. I even like the look of some of those lower division English s***** grounds that about 3,000 would cause to bulge at the seams. Crap facilities, I'm sure, but real character.

If you see a game at on eof the clubs sharing a soccer ground ? like Saracens at a 40000 capacity ground they barely quarter fill ? it is not so impressive.
                Which s***** ground is that?

Sadly I never made Adelaide ? I thought the Gabba was okay though rather detached from the field of play (being a cricket venue normally) and the Colonial is fine if you want to eat junk food or drink in the social areas but again there is too much dead space around the field ? I like to be nearer the touch line myself.
                The Gabba was always primarily a cricket venue so, for any form of football - except AFL, which uses the whole field - will suffer dead field space. And Colonial, of course, was custom-built for AFL, so it's inappropriate for anything else. I've never been there.

Good grief you force my brain to get into gear very early in my day sometimes!
                Comes from me posting in the middle of my day! Actually, this thread is a very good heart- and brain-starter for me in the mornings. One false step and the NH piranhas strip you to the bones in a flash. Gee, that's not bad for 10.25pm after a long day re-writing either.

One of the primary ways the English show this complex is in their unwillingness to try another language for fear of looking foolish to foreigners I suspect.
                That remarkable national lack of self esteem again.

Me I will give it a punt and happily look a fool ? ?Vingt grand pression svp?. That and a bit of sign language works wonders ? I don?t blame Tamerlin?s countrymen for getting annoyed when a rugby tour rolls into town and someone says ?twenty beers please mate? ? I?ve seen this to often myself.
                What, BTW, is French for Bitter? Or do you just point to your mouth and grimace?

It must be obvious by now that being the lone keeper of the English faith holds no fear for me?
                Very Churchillian, very Churchillian. We shall fight them in the centres, we shall fight them in the rucks ... and so on ...

Which in turn was deposited in a savings account. I like my pocket money to work for me.
                I wonder what the pre-pubescent version of Bitter was?

Comment

Crap facilities, I'm sure, but real character.
                  Very true in fact. Lincoln, Boston and S****horpe are ones I have visited in recent years. I don’t like s***** but I do enjoy a day out somewhere different.

Which s***** ground is that?
                  Vicarage Road (Watford). Not a place, or indeed clubs, I would go out of my way to visit.

And Colonial, of course, was custom-built for AFL, so it's inappropriate for anything else.
                  It’s a nice modern place but it does lack the intense atmosphere of say the Millenium stadium - that was custom built for S*****/Rugger of course.

One false step and the NH piranhas strip you to the bones in a flash. Gee, that's not bad for 10.25pm after a long day re-writing either.
                  It’s nice line with the added virtue of considerable truth.

Of course now the piranhas are wide awake and you should be long since turned in.

That remarkable national lack of self esteem again.
                  Remarkable is it not?

What, BTW, is French for Bitter? Or do you just point to your mouth and grimace?
                  That would tend to get you absinthe I suspect.

AFAIK they do no ‘bitter’ – a few darker lagers but that’s about it. Same for the Dutch. The Belgians do a variety of interesting beers some of which could be technically called ales, and the Germans produce some weird drinks they believe to be Ales – but the true joy that is ‘Bitter’ can only be found in the UK. One of the mian reasons I travel but have never settled elsewhere.

Very Churchillian, very Churchillian.
                  We shall fight them in the IRB law sub-committees?

I wonder what the pre-pubescent version of Bitter was?
                  Panda Pops. The shandy variety naturally.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Still talking Union?
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Union is the gays' version. League is well more interesting.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Slow day at the troll office?

I suggest you pay more attnetion to the tackle area in the League code then - just what is all that about if they are 'manly men'?

Want to troll this thread - try harder.

You see we all know you are a Manx fan and nothing is more tedious than soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak

Vicarage Road (Watford). Not a place, or indeed clubs, I would go out of my way to visit.
                          Watford? Elton John's cubbyhole? So to speak?

Of course now the piranhas are wide awake and you should be long since turned in.
                          Not this time! 3.35am and I'm just knocking off to go to bed! F***ing deadlines!

Comment

Sorry, I have missed the creation of the new thread as I am no more receiving any message when someone reply to a thread I have subscribed to...

I will catch up with the thread tomorrow... Ahem! I mean in a few hours...
                            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Watford? Elton John's cubbyhole? So to speak?
                              What an interesting way of putting it. You are correct of course.

Not this time! 3.35am and I'm just knocking off to go to bed! F***ing deadlines!
                              Good grief. I only keep those hours for social purposes – and even then mainly on tour. Still at least you entirely control your own time so here’s hoping you had a later morning.

Tamerlin clearly works differently to myself – do you ever sleep?

Comment

Working...
                              X