No announcement yet.

Best 20th century composer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how I forgot Rachmaninov, and I will concede that Gershwin and a few others should have been included.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Frank Zappa!!!!
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        Lennon and McCartney?
        They get my vote. They changed the face of music and its impact on society.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

U2 :doitnow:
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            Williams should be considered out of sheer prolificness, popularity and recognizeability.
            By that account Cliff Richards is the greatest pop star who ever lived.

Let's face it, John Williams did one brilliant score in Jaws and has since done a lot of damage to bring down film scores from their high point in the seventies by helping usher back constant music based on soaring strings.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Frank Zappa is great.

I'm also all about Eliot Del Borgo, Harry Greggson-Williams, Robert Smith, David Holsinger, Nuobo Uematsu, but... I don't know I'd probably give it to Duke Ellington just because I've played so much of his stuff and thought it was good.
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Buck - did you even for one SECOND listen to his work in "Catch Me If You Can"? I think that it is Williams' best work yet!
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

Don Walker (of Cold Chisel)
                  "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                  "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                  - Pekka

Comment

I voted for Berg. Nobody would actually think he's best of anything, so obviously a vote for him is in place of the missing "banana" option.

Everyone I could think of wasn't really 20th century, such as Dvorak (who died in 1904 but probably didn't write or publish anything major in the 20th century).

Gershwin would get my vote. UAL used Rhapsody in Blue on commercials that played ceaselessly on the news channels. I never tired of it, but rather hungered for more than the bleeding, 30-second chunk cut from the flesh nearest the heart.

Ask next week it could be somebody else, but Gershwin is ear candy.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Roger Waters

Comment

I voted for Prokofiev. Not because I am willing to argue that he is the best composer of the century, but he's my favorite of those listed.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Now, now, don't mention Songwriters. They're in a different, and much higher, category than mere composers.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure 100 years from now, people will be buying Roger Waters albums in droves and no one will know who Mozart is...
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Hey, if there was a device to wipe out Roger Waters from everyone's collective memory right now, I'd be right there repeatedly bashing the "go" button with my fist.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                                Ask next week it could be somebody else, but Gershwin is ear candy.
                                Gershwin can't be dismissed as mere ear candy. Porgy and Bess is a wonderful opera, and his music is quite well crafted. Just because he uses the jazz idiom doesn't make his music less intelligent.

If anything, Berg is far too intellectualized. He was quite dismayed to discover that his carefully-crafted atonalism, which was build on incredibly complex systems, was audibly indistinguishable from completely randomized atonal music.

That's why Schoenberg, the founding father of atonalism, abandoned it, declaring it a dead end.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X