MoBo Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoBo Time!

I've been out of the Motherboard loop for waaaaay too long, and now i'm thinking about buying a new one for an old box i recently recieved from a friend.

the thing is a pentium 133 with 48 megs of ram, onboard video

i want to use this box as a server @ uni (http, ftp, whatever) and i'm thinking i could go for anywhere from 600 - 1ghz, and 512 mb of ram. i have a leftover ATI Raedon VE, so an AGP slot is essential if i want to save ome cash.

what kind of motherboards / processoers do you guys reccommend? i don think this will come down to an intel / amd flamefest, but if it looks like it's commnig to that, please refrain
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

A motherboard that accepts processor over 600 mhz wont fit in that old box that you just got......sorry....trust me I tried.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

it's a big box.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Uber i could sell you my 1ghz 512mb for cheap.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
          Uber i could sell you my 1ghz 512mb for cheap.
          [list=a][*]why would you sell it?[*]how much? [/list=a]

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
            it's a big box.
            "Curtian"?

Comment

a. im scrounging up money to buy a new computer.
              b. let me think about it.

2 sticks samsung pc 133 ram 256 mb. 30 bucks each =60 bucks
              P3 1GHZ = 99 bucks
              D815eea2 mobo= 50 bucks at the least
              250 watt power supply= 30 bucks at the least
              80 gig ata100 hard drive= 90 bucks
              radeon card from god knows when, runs all games i play though = 30 bucks

300 dollars then?

id be keeping the 40 gig hard drive and the CDRW. also i dont know if youd want to take it all out of its case. all this is housed in a desktop ATX case...i dont know how easy it would be to transfer that all to a tower
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

"Curtian"?
                I noticed that Anything like a martian?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

doh.

i didnt notice until now.

Comment

well, i had planned to spraypaint it red anyway, that just gives me more of a reason to do so.

real quick: how can i tell what size my mobo is? i cant see any such markings at a quick glance.

also, my power supply is 300W. do i need any more for a mobo described above?

Comment

Use a tape measure...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                      X