• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressional Resistance to Ashcroft's Tyranny Growing

Olver pushes change to Patriot Act
    By Ian Bishop Transcript
    Washington Bureau
    WASHINGTON -- Has Big Brother been watching you?

If you've checked out books or surfed the Web at the local library or bookstore on subjects such as Islamic fundamentalism, nuclear reactors or bomb building, the FBI may know about it.

It's a disconcerting possibility that is making some strange bedfellows on Capitol Hill. Both progressive liberals and conservatives who believe in a minimalist federal government are moving to repeal a section of the USA Patriot Act passed in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks that allows federal agents to pull readers' records for little more than curiosity.

Since the attacks, more than 175 libraries nationwide have been visited by the attacks, according to a study by the University of Illinois. However, any information gleaned has been deemed confidential by the Department of Justice.

"The USA Patriot Act, in several key areas, gives law enforcement too much power at the expense of our civil liberties," Said Rep. John W. Olver, whose district stretches from the Berkshires to the western edge of Middlesex County.

Olver is backing the Freedom to Read Protection Act, a bill by Rep. Bernard Sanders, I-Vt., to end the chance federal agents may be checking your reading list.

"This is a very dangerous situation," Sanders said.

Booksellers, librarians and Democrats and Republicans are supporting the effort.

"The focus of the war on terror should be on terrorists, not American citizens," said Rep. Ron Paul, a Texas Republican backing the bill.

Olver and Sanders say the provision in the Patriot Act, granting domestic spying capabilities without the need for search warrants or judicial oversight, is a violation of the U.S. Constitution. There is a legal challenge to the provision, but Sanders said the more direct route is to repeal it legislatively

Attorney General John Ashcroft has defended the Justice Department's tactics and strategy in the ongoing war on terror, either within our borders or beyond. At a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing this week, he said the new techniques are rooted in the Constitution.

"Our priority is preventing future terrorism, not making arrests," Ashcroft said.

But not at the expense of a citizen's civil liberties, Olver contends.

"This bill would return some of the safeguards that were in place before passage of the Patriot Act by exempting libraries and booksellers from provisions that allow the federal government access to records without a traditional search warrant," Olver said.

Trina Magi, a reference librarian at the University of Vermont, said the prospect of governmental spying is enough to push many library-goers into self-censoring.

"The moment you have to think about making decisions (about what to read), you are no longer truly free," she said.

To maintain strong educational and economic vitality, Americans should be able and encouraged to explore new information, she said.

The New England Booksellers Association has come down against the provision in the USA Patriot Act. Nearly a dozen communities in southern Vermont have passed resolutions in response to the Act.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Hopefully this new ammendment will pass.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

dumbass republicans and dems who voted him in.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Every politician who voted for this should be considered a criminal of the United States and put in jail. (Bush and Ashcroft too).
        "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
        "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
        "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

For poetic justice purposes, Ashcroft should be categorized as a terrorist and sent to Camp X-Ray.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

This is the government we deserve, folks. Our esteemed U.S. Senate, yours and mine, the elected representatives that we put in those hallowed halls, voted overwhelmingly not only to confirm John Ashcroft as A.G., knowing full well what type of man he is, but they also voted overwhelmingly in favor of the Patriot Act.

The blame for this horse**** ultimately rests with the American people. If you really don't like it, start supporting alternatives to the same old **** they shuffle around in D.C. every two years.

EDIT: Ramo, obviously, that tirade wasn't directed at you. Lord knows you are not a supporter of the same old same old. I just wish Americans in general would stop whining and actually do something to change government.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've checked out several books on Islamic fundamentalism over the past few months and I could care less if the government notices. I'm not doing anything wrong, so who cares if the government knows? Bring on the US MI5...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm just not talking ****. I mean it. Throw these dickheads in the slammer.
                "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I'm not doing anything wrong, so who cares if the government knows?
                  Yes, it's not like the US gov't does anything to Americans who have political opinions it strongly disagrees with (*cough* immigrants *cough*). There's nothing to fear from Big Brother.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    I've checked out several books on Islamic fundamentalism over the past few months and I could care less if the government notices. I'm not doing anything wrong, so who cares if the government knows? Bring on the US MI5...
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Hi Joe, how are you doing? I hope you have been locking up those godless commies.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                        dumbass republicans and dems who voted him in.
                        Ashcroft wasn't voted in... He's never held an elected office. He even lost a Congressional election to a guy who had died. Yet he's qualified to run the Justice Department
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The fact that you and I may be doing nothing wrong doesn't give anyone an excuse to chip away at basic liberties.

Can anyone justify passing more restrictive laws by simply saying, "you have nothing to worry about as long as you're doing nothing wrong"?
                          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Ashcroft is overrated. What do you think he's going to do, just break into our houses and arrest us while we're sitting at our compu
                            "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Sorry, I can't help it
                              Attached Files
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X