No announcement yet.

Will Iraq cause an ecological disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Iraq cause an ecological disaster?

Or if you believe the U.S. is the cause of all these problems. Will the U.S. cause an ecological disaster?

Some news sources say that the oil wells are rigged to blow. They say this would be much worse than the Kuwaiti situation 12 years ago.

Will it happen?
    yes
    71.43%
    No
    28.57%
    banana
    0.00%

If America attacks, it's definitely going to happen.
    I won't blame anyone for that but if I was getting conquered I also would try to leave no resources for my attacker (just like the Russians did in WWII).
    "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

Deffinately.

War generally is, anyways.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Given what was done last time around, I think so, yeah. It's a little different since this would involve Saddam blowing up his own countries' oil wells instead of Kuwait's, but if he thinks he has nothing to lose, he might do it just out of spite.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

He might also try to launch missiles at oil wells in neighboring countries.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that if one supertanker is sunk in the right place in Hormuz, the whole Gulf will be shut off. Is it really that narrow or is this just some hyperbole? If Saddam really wants to ruin the Gulf oil industry, it might be worth a try.

Comment

hmm good question.

I was never top side when we passed through the straights of Hormuz. I'm not sure.

Comment

Blowing up his own wells is a strong possibility but I con't think he would be targetting other countries oil WELLS. These would be incredibly small targets. What he might try to hit are the refineries and storage areas-- There could be quite a firestorm.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I doubt he will do that. Remember he is playing a game and trying to look like the good guy. He has done this well over the past 12 years.

He can get away with blowing up his own wells. As that will be blamed on the U.S. anyways.

But if he went blowing up other's wells he would lose support he has in the middle east. He is pretty popular because he stands up against the U.S. He would lose that popularity.

Granted it doesn't mean as much if he is dead. But I think he will survive. And what happens to him afterwords depends on his popularity and sentiment against or for him.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that if one supertanker is sunk in the right place in Hormuz, the whole Gulf will be shut off. Is it really that narrow or is this just some hyperbole? If Saddam really wants to ruin the Gulf oil industry, it might be worth a try.
                    Evildoers don't care from our nature.

I doubt he will do that. Remember he is playing a game and trying to look like the good guy. He has done this well over the past 12 years.

He can get away with blowing up his own wells. As that will be blamed on the U.S. anyways.

But if he went blowing up other's wells he would lose support he has in the middle east. He is pretty popular because he stands up against the U.S. He would lose that popularity.
                    I agree here.

Comment

It would be incredibly easy for Hussein to really destroy Iraq through sabotaging its oil wells.

First off, consider that Kuwait had about 1,000 wells total. I'm guessing that Iraq has about 10x that (WAG).

Secondly, Iraq's wells have very high gas pressure. Much higher than Kuwait's. This means that it would be much, much tougher to put out the fire on an Iraqi well. Even then, it would much easier to damage the oil fields.

Third, Iraq's wells are spread out more than Kuwait's wells. This means that the pace of putting out the fires would be slower.

Lastly, most of Iraq's wells would spew toxic substances. This would slow the operation down even more and would create more environmental damage.

In short, Hussein's name would blacken the history books forever, if he blew up his wells.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

He didn't just blow up the oil wells, you know. He also dumped reserves into the sea.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                          Deffinately.

War generally is, anyways.
                          True. War is not enviroment friendly.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu

Evildoers don't care from our nature.
                            I didn't think he'd do it out of respect for the environment but out of efficiency. Why waste TNT blowing up wells one at a time when you can cripple 7 economies with one blow?

All this was brought on by an article a few years ago when Iran bought some submarines and antiship missiles and mounted them near the strait. If somehow naval access to the Gulf could be completely blocked that would be an incredible disaster. All the ships and troops there would be cut off too (I doubt we could supply the entire Allied Gulf force by air.)

Comment

I think the chances of Saddam lighting his wells are about 50/50. I'm not going to pick one. I had heard they were wired. But the bombing campaign will first take out telecommunications so Saddam's ability to order their destruction will be obstructed.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X