Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arab newspapers give details of future Iraqi government

http://slate.msn.com/id/2079814/

Over the weekend, several Arab newspapers described the details of a postwar American political order in Iraq and named the officials who might rule the country.

In a front-page article on Sunday, the London-based Al-Hayat quoted U.S. officials as saying that postwar Iraq would be divided into three administrative zones. Taking a page out of British imperial history, the Bush administration intends to name a woman, Barbara Bodine, a former ambassador to Yemen, as administrator of the central zone that includes Baghdad. After World War I, Britain also appointed a woman, the colorful Gertrude Bell, to run Iraq, though Bodine might have less clout. According to the London-based Saudi paper Al-Sharq al-Awsat, she and the two administrators of the northern and southern zones (both former generals) will report to retired Army general Jay Garner, who heads the Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance, the euphemistically named body created by the Pentagon to govern Iraq. The paper also asserted that a four-member interim presidential council made up of Iraqis would be set up to advise the Americans. It may include former ministers "Adnan Pahchachi, an Arab Sunni now based in the United Arab Emirates; Fouad Aref, a Kurdish Sunni headquartered in Kurdistan; Abdelghani Dalli, an Arab Shiite living in Britain; and Ahmed al-Habboubi, another Arab Shiite currently residing in Egypt."

The alleged U.S. intentions in fashioning such an arrangement are criticized by the United Arab Emirates' daily Al-Khaleej. In a leader, the paper excoriated the "wicked, fiendish intentions" of the Bush administration, pointing out that the subdivision of Iraq suggested the country would be carved up along sectarian and ethnic lines—the north has a substantial Kurdish population, the south is predominantly Shiite, while Sunnis are concentrated in the middle of the country. However, the appointment of retired military men to administer the north and south suggested, on the contrary, that the administration might impose tighter control over the Kurds and Shiites precisely to avoid Iraq's partition, which virtually everybody in the region opposes.
    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

For those who continue to ask what a post-war Iraq would look like, here it is. A remakably sound strategy to ensure that the seperate factions can be dealt with appropriately while a national unity is formed.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I tend to read the Jordan Times & Lebanon Star, and have seen a LOT of speculation on US government intentions. Except it isn't presented as speculation - it's presented as fact (I suspect in order to impress the reader with the writer's knowledge).

I read such articles with a healthy does of skepticism. This could be correct (I have heard a lot about dividing Iraq into three zones, but then again, the last article I read that suggested that said that we would also divide Saudi Arabia into 4 parts. ), but who knows until it actually happens?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Are these the same Arab papers that said Israel was responsible for 9/11.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

IIRC Al-Huyat is an extremist Arab language newspaper in London. I seem to recall Al-Huyat writing crap about the CIA and Isaeli inteligence plotted 9/11 so they could have an excuse to take over the Arab world. They also urged Arabs to join with the Taliban and "defend Islam" against the "crusading" Americans & British.

This paper is a rag.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            IIRC Al-Huyat is an extremist Arab language newspaper in London. I seem to recall Al-Huyat writing crap about the CIA and Isaeli inteligence plotted 9/11 so they could have an excuse to take over the Arab world. They also urged Arabs to join with the Taliban and "defend Islam" against the "crusading" Americans & British.

This paper is a rag.
            Even a rag can sometimes have correct info. Three zones would make sense as long as they were temporary. National Unity is the goal and with the internal factions all trying to gain power in post war Iraq it would probably be smart to initially administer the three zones as described in the article.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

THe Kurds should get thier independence, But if they do Turkey is going to have a fit. Why is Turkey so against an independent Kurdistan? It would get rid of a security threat in Turkey. It looks like the Kurds are going to get screwed again (as usual).

Comment

I too would be interested on why Turkey has such a problem with an independent Kurdistan. The only thing i've heard is that if they were independent that have some grudges to settle with Turkey. Anyone care to enlighten us.

RAH
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm guessing Turkey is thinking about Albania and Kosovo as it dealt with Serbia/Yugoslavia and don't want to deal with that.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    I too would be interested on why Turkey has such a problem with an independent Kurdistan. The only thing i've heard is that if they were independent that have some grudges to settle with Turkey. Anyone care to enlighten us.

RAH
                    I believe that the Kurds claim part of southern Turkey as their territory.

Comment

In 1922 several Kurdish groups declared themselves independent, trying to create a Kurdish state out of lands that were claimed by the Still forming Turkish republic: the Turks defeated them, and have forever since been very wary of Kurds trying to create an independent state out of the Eastern part of the Turkish Republic (At this time, after the Greeks invaded and were repulsed all the Greeks of Western Turkey were kicked out as well). At the same time the Turks wanted to claim the Mosul area (now Northen Iraq) but the British would not allow this: there were a few minor clashes and the Turks had to give up thier claim.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Actually, AFAIK, these lands are nothing but a burden on turkey. since it doesn't really need any buffer against attack. Therefore, I once again, fail to realize what is the reason.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Since the brief existence of an independent Kurdistan, Kurds have been a percecuted minority in Turkey (and Iraq, and Iran...), with their language banned and even Kurdish-sounding names forbidden. There's still some doubt over whether democratic Kurdish parties are allowed to function in Turkey, and the language was released only recently.

Among the by-products of this often brutal repression are armed Kurdish guerilla groups of various kinds, most notably the PKK, who conduct campaigns of variedly standard armed struggle and terrorism against the Ankara government. These have quitened down in the last decade or so, and are largely seeking peace agreements, but the Turkish government is extremely paranoid and keeps a tight regime in turkish Kurdistan, repressing any sign of violence or political dissidence with often excessive force.

There's certainly the fear from the Turkish side that a free Kurdish state will lay claims to the (largely Kurdish-populated and traditionally Kurdish) lands on the other side of the border, and will act as a base for potential armed incursions.
                          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

The Kurds sit on the headwaters of the Euphrates and Tigris, as well as many othe rivers. Their land contains the most important part of the whole water system of the area. And water in the ME is crucial.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Actually, Gepap, IIRC, the Tigris and the Euphrates start deeper into turkey, not in Kurdish lands.

and in any case, I hardly believe this is the reason the turks want to prevent their independance. They could just claim the dams in a peaceful agreement.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X