No announcement yet.

The Discovery Channel is airing a 1-hr program called "Rebuilding Ground Zero"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Discovery Channel is airing a 1-hr program called "Rebuilding Ground Zero"

I'm gonna watch that instead of continuing with that damned Puma ad thread...

I don't know what is going to be covered in it, but if it's on where you are, maybe watch it and come back here to discuss.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Yo, fill me in on the good parts.

(Don't have cable. )
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

From the sound of it, this was first aired months ago, but I'll have to research it a bit...later (I'm typing this on a commercial break).

I hadn't realized the NYC subway system was so disorganized. They aren't nicely and efficiently connected with each other, though I guess it's not that suprising given their age.

"In the hours after the attack, ferries ferried 150,000 people out of Lower Manhattan, three times the number evacuated by the British from Dunkirk."

Back to the TV...

Comment

They're considering reopenning a few of the streets that were closed when the towers went up. I knew this months ago, but there's also talk of putting West St. underground, which would free up almost as much land as Ground Zero itself.

Several different parties own Ground Zero I didn't know it was that messy; I only thought just the PA and Silverstein. New York and Jersey own/co-own the land and streets, Silverstein owned the towers above some floor, and someone else owns below ground floors and a street.

Comment

Good stuff!
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The curator? of the Museum of Modern Art called the Vietnam Memorial "deceptively simple." He went on to describe his visit to the Holocaust memorial near Notre Dame in Paris. He finished by mentioning a lighting feature at the other end of a shaft cut deep into the side of the indoor portion of the site. He didn't know what it represented exactly: "hope...or a warning, like a train in a tunnel coming at you." An asian lady (the Vietnam Memorial designer?) hypothesized that the "right person" to design the 9-11 memorial "might not be born yet."

Comment

No particular focus after that last commercial break; brief talk of improving security, more memorial stuff, sound bites from people on the street.

One quote I will definitely take from this program as I'm studying Architecture,
              "This is the first great urban design problem of the 21st century."

God, I can't get the sound of that second plane coming in for the kill out of my head...damn it. *Quietly sobs...*

Comment

Can't wait to see it up.

Comment

This particular program wasn't much more than an abridged version of discussion about this whole subject. Kinda like an Intro to Architecture or Basic Biology 100 class. Not much in-depth information; probably a waste of an hour of my life, though I did get a few tidbits I didn't know before.

Comment

Sorry about your feelings with that second plane, Drose -
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                      Sorry about your feelings with that second plane, Drose -
                      The only way it could be worse (short of being listed among the dead...) would be if I'd been present in NYC to hear that plane in- person. I live in Reno and this city (and Sparks) is situated in a large valley (the Truckee Meadows). Because of the resulting wind patterns, air traffic generally approaches from either the north or the south. I live underneath the south approach, 2 or 3 miles south of the airport, and we hear planes fairly frequently at just a few hundred feet above us (though Reno-Tahoe Int. is no JFK or La Guardia by any means).

Every so often, a plane flies over-head that sounds a lot like...*sniff*

*pauses*

...'Nuf said.

And on THAT happy note, I go to bed hoping this headache doesn't keep me up...G'night all.

Comment

Working...
                      X