No announcement yet.

Disc Jockeys Ban Pretenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The opening theme for Rush Limbaugh's radio is from a Pretenders' song. Chrissy Hynde has more talent than a lot of the singers out there. Very emotional.

I've never heard them described as 'Big Hair' -- if anything, they're a throwback to the sixties.

This album is good for someone who wants to know what they're about:

Last edited by The Mad Monk; March 8, 2003, 15:19.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

And I mistakingly thought the US now was much better than the days of McCarthyism and blacklisting.

Freedom... yeah right...
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The pretenders were and are a magnificent band from the eighties that combined punk sentiment with new-wave sensibilities. As such, I love them. Chrissy Hynde is increidble!

The eighties was the second best decade for music, no doubt!
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

The eighties was the second best decade for music, no doubt!
          ICK! The eighties sucked! Metal emerged... that was about the only decent thing.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

difference of opinion sava, difference of opinion...

in my opinion, the emergence of heavy metal was the only bad part of the dacade!
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

ICK! The eighties sucked! Metal emerged... that was about the only decent thing.

You should have stopped at the ...
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Most DJ's are complete idiots.

A true generalization.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This is what the so-called 'greatest democracy on Earth' does? You censor those who do not agree with the official line? Does anyone else think that this is almost like a form of modern day McCarthyism?
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Considering that private entities have the right to say what they please, no.

It's actually freedom of speech on the radio station's part. They have the right to support the war, and make that clear by not playing any artists who oppose it. Just like how Apolyton has the right to control the messages posted on this forum. Private interests have the power, not the government.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Lets see if we can't get all those cheese pop artists coming out against the war. I would have no complaints if their music were summarily discontinued on TV and radio.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          This is what the so-called 'greatest democracy on Earth' does? You censor those who do not agree with the official line? Does anyone else think that this is almost like a form of modern day McCarthyism?
                          If you'd get off of your soap box and read a bit more you may find that the government had nothing to do with this case. It is a few radio execs at one company which appear to have made a personal choice.

I still contend, though, that corporations are risk adverse and they hate to be involved in controversy. Controversy always offends someone and that's not good for business.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They are the ones playing up the controversy, doing it probably for publicity.

If it weren't for their actions I would never have heard of this radio station. If it weren't for their actions there would not be a controversial discussion about it on forums like these.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              Wheren't the Pretenders big in the 80s? BTW this isn't chilling at all. Big corporations don't like contrivorsies of any sorts. As a general rule if someone or something causes controversy then they get dropped like a rock.

If you are in the business of selling something (in this case music) then you should be concerned with the needs and desires of your costumers more then making political statements.
                              It's the DJs who are causing the controversy. (not surprisingly)
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X