Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assisted Suicide in Oregon...what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assisted Suicide in Oregon...what do you think?

I believe we are the only state in the union that allows a doctor to medically assist (usually by prescribing lethal doses of drugs) in the termination of adult life for those suffering a verifiable terminal illness.
    A recent article placed the number of these deaths slightly higher this year than last (@40 I think), but nowhere near the flood that the feds assumed would occur.
    What do you think about euthanasia? I assume it is practiced more widely in Europe than in the US. I wonder if someday we'll have "suicide centers" a la Soylent Green?
    I think it is a good idea. Relieves a financial and emotional burden and allows the dying individual a small measure of control and dignity in their final moments. I personally would rather choose the time of my passing, especially if I was gravely ill.
    Hell yes..I laugh in your face, Grim Reaper.
    48.00%
    I'd do it, but I wouldn't want my loved one to.
    0.00%
    That is an affront to God! Burn in hell, hippie Oregonians!
    16.00%
    Depends on the illness, but probably.
    16.00%
    Boy...I just don't know how I feel about that.
    12.00%
    Beat me to death with a banana!
    8.00%
    Life and death is a grave matter;
    all things pass quickly away.
    Each of you must be completely alert;
    never neglectful, never indulgent.

Assisted suicide should be legal and available to people suffering. This self-righteous attitude by people who think life should be extended and such is stupid and ignorant. Making people suffer is much more evil than allowing someone the dignity to die in peace.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Personally, I think the act is cowardly, but in a nation where personal freedoms are supposidly highly coveted there should be a freedom to be a fool. I personally don't follow their reason, but I do think they have right to die how they want.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I wonder how much lobbying health and medical groups did against this law? I know Bush's stance is very anti-assisted suicide.
        But hey, we also have medical marijuana here too! God, I love this state!
        Life and death is a grave matter;
        all things pass quickly away.
        Each of you must be completely alert;
        never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          Assisted suicide should be legal and available to people suffering. This self-righteous attitude by people who think life should be extended and such is stupid and ignorant. Making people suffer is much more evil than allowing someone the dignity to die in peace.
          What if you're just a nutbag and want to strap yourself with dynamites just for sh**s and giggles?
          :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II

What if you're just a nutbag and want to strap yourself with dynamites just for sh**s and giggles?
            Read my post more carefully...
            available to people suffering
            Nobody could walk off the street and say, yeah I want to die.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              Personally, I think the act is cowardly, but in a nation where personal freedoms are supposidly highly coveted there should be a freedom to be a fool. I personally don't follow their reason, but I do think they have right to die how they want.
              You'd change your tune if you were suffering from terminal cancer.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I knew a man that ended up shooting himself because of his pain and suffering and the complete loss of any sort of quality life. He committed suicide because there was no other option for him. The unfortunate side-effect was that his wife (a friend of my wife) had to find him with his brains all over the floor.

If assisted suicide had been an option, maybe she could have participated in a more constructive way rather than being left with the bloody mess.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                  AFAIK, assisted suicide involves the death of one person, as opposed to, say, the leveling of a city block.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

Read my post more carefully...

Nobody could walk off the street and say, yeah I want to die.
                    why not? ur gonna dictate how I should live my life?

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

AFAIK, assisted suicide involves the death of one person, as opposed to, say, the leveling of a city block.
                      Loin, if there's someone I can trust to come up with witty and funny comment. It's you.

I think we should put a steeper punsihment for attempted suicide. I am leaning toward the death penalty.

Comment

I remember watching a standup comedian who read an article to the audience about how a man was shot by police in order to prevent him from committing suicide.

"I'll jump!"
                        [BANG]
                        "No, you'll fall."
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

ya know, if yo wanna die, all you have to do is buy a gun and shoot someone in cold blood.

You'll get everyone's approval.

Comment

Cop assisted suicide is the best!
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

If people constantly demand to be able to kill themselves, they should be allowed
                              to do so. However, we should check very carefully that this emotion isn't just
                              temporary desperation and bitterness.

As long as the invididual owns it's body, it should be allowed to do it whatever
                              it wants. OTOH, we should, as in other cases, inform them properly
                              if we do think that the action what it is going to do is stupid, to be really
                              sure that it's really what it want's.

Small OT-quiz: Count the grammar and spelling errors in this post.

Comment

Working...
                              X