linux recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux recommendations...

i'm installing mandrake 9 on a computer, and I was wondering if y'all could recommend me some good software, as i know nothing about linux...

thanks in advance...
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

well, the install wasn't too bad, this is my first official post from linux
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Install it all!

It'll take you months to learn about all the packages that come with Linux.
      If you install ALL of Redhat, that's something like over a thousand packages.
      Each package is a software product.

Comment

Um... what do you want to do, that's the question. The programs I'm currently running (visibly) are xmms, Mozilla, a couple of Eterms and *****X - that is, a media player, a web browser, space to do random stuff in and start programs, and IRC. Nothing fancy. Generally, when you're using Linux, you don't have to download a lot of third-party software - what you need is already packaged and only needs to be installed with the package manager. Just find out how to get urpmi up and running (if it isn't already configured) before you start installing stuff - believe me, you do not want dependency hell.
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Provided that you don't get into trouble with dependencies, you're fine. A bit of Mozilla, OpenOffice and the nice terminals can do the stuff. But, if you have the space, I highly recommend you install most packages. Things like GIMP are also cool.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

While we are on this subject...
            Which is better? Ret Hat Linux or Mandrake Linux ?
            I am about to get a computer that will be my Linux machine, so I want to make my money count. Thanks!
            "Close only counts in horseshoes & Fireball Spells!!!" From "Tangled Webs

Comment

Flare, Linux is free, don't worry about money .

Mandrake is built on Red Hat, and has been enhanced with tools to make configuration much simpler. However, most Red Hat packages will also run on Mandrake, so you should be able to run just about any Linux software.

If this is your first Linux experience, you do want Mandrake.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Linux is free, but the distros aren't
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

They aren't?
                  All the distros I know offer some variation of it for free for download.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If you need a workstation and a workstation only, save yourself some headaches and stick with Windows.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

well, i have windows on this computer, but i built a computer for a chick and she gave me her old one (600MHz celeron). And i'm taking a class that involves unix, et al, so it would be nice to have a system to play with. I got mandrake 9.0 up and running on it, and i'm just starting to play with it!

What is dependancy hell??????

Comment

You want to get Program A. Program A requires Program B 2.38 and Program C 2.13.

You have Program B 2.10 and don't have Program C.

Program A stomps its feet and tells you you're naughty for not having the correct version of B and don't have C at all, and won't do anything...

It gets far worse the longer you run the OS too.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

ah, that sounds like a lot of fun

Comment

Unless you use Debian, which does it all for you if you can install it.

Originally posted by Asher
                            They aren't?
                            All the distros I know offer some variation of it for free for download.
                            There are some that don't make it easy (ie buy the CD, or email us and we'll send you the source tarballs). RedHat and Mandrake aren't two of them.

SP
                            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

btw, is it possible to get the linux comp to see the shared folders on winXP comps on the same network?

Comment

Working...
                              X