Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A glimmer of hope? - The UK seeks compromise on UN resolution

From the BBC:

Reports from the United Nations say Britain is proposing changes to the planned new Security Council resolution it is tabling on Iraq, to allow President Saddam Hussein a final opportunity to disarm peacefully.
    Is Blair softening?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I will wait to hear this from Blair before I believe it, if it is, I hope the Tory's eat him for breakfast ... (unless there is a cunning plan behind it all, that the American's are fully aware of).

Traditionally the UK has always tried to act as the bridge between the US and the EU (or at least it thinks it has), but in this case, the chasm is so huge, it simply made sence to sit on the side your most agreeable with. If Blair is wanting to play the bridge again, he is sure to fall to his death.
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Blair is looking at the UK opinion polls which suggest about 24% support a war without a further resolution but nearer 75% support with a resolution. It is an attempt to give the other UNSC members a last chance to go with a compromise that will allow a US led, UK supported, invasion of Iraq.

Blair is not softening, merely trying to minimise the domestic fallout when the invasion starts. He needs a second resolution which can be presented as authorising war, otherwise he probably won't last as Prime Minister, particularly if it goes badly.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The BBC is stating now that its just one of many different idea's they are considering .. so it may not be the case.

Blair has wanted the 2nd UN resolution for quite a while (am i wrong, but wasn't it the French that first spoke about a 2nd resolution ??) and your certainly correct CerberusIV that if he wants the UK public to support the war, it needs a 2nd resolution.

But Blair to his credit has simply done what he thinks is correct, rather than play to polls .. if he starts trying to sit pretty in the middle between the US and France/Germany, he will end up becoming irrelevant himself.
        "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

2 replies in and Cerebus said what I was going to. This is a good move by the Brits and should be accepted with minimalist grumbling by the US.

Comment

Too little, too late.
            300,000 troops haven't been put in the region for Hussein to now agree to change his ways.
            Besides, it's just another ploy on his part.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

the question i have is, is blair right for listening to the people, or living up to his pledge to help bush? which is more important?
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                the question i have is, is blair right for listening to the people, or living up to his pledge to help bush? which is more important?
                I think he is doing both, UK opinion is swinging back towards his position anyway
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

isn't it also the case that Blair is trying to avoid the Russians vetoing any hardline resolution?

Comment

News at lunchtime today.

UK is suggesting amendments to the proposed second resolution something along the lines of giving Saddam 1 final week to disarm. Aparently this amendment is supported by the UA and is picking up from a previous disregarded suggestion Russians a few weeks ago.

On a related matter its my belief that President “Red Neck” Bush made a serious miscalculation with the first resolution. Bush wants war regardless (to support his political agenda and cus his dada asked him to finish what he couldn’t). The first resolution was a smokescreen i.e. Bush expected to use it to justify his forthcoming unjust war and its backfired on him.

Weve been inspecting for 3 months, using CIA intelligence, satellite imaging and god knows what other technology to find the so call WMD. Where are they?????? Not one piece of credible evidence i.e. a biological bomb shell, lab samples etc has been produced yet. No evidence no war and that’s the problem Bush/Blair have.

Bush want a war and hes seeking to justify it via the UN, he just didn’t reckon on the UN (aka France, Germany etc.) having the backbone to stand up to him, couldn’t even buy the Turkish support with X Billion $ he tried to bribe them with.

STOP BUSH hes a warmongering germ.

Comment

"On a related matter its my belief that President “Red Neck” Bush "

As opposed to a redneck Brit, I suppose.
                      Don't believe I hear Bush saying things of any similarity to your fine analogy.
                      Last edited by SlowwHand; March 6, 2003, 10:23.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I thought rednecks were a institution solely located in the good ol' USA old boy?

We have brummies if you want an local equivalent?

Comment

council estate scum is quite good( Dom Jolly)
                          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Blair's ploy is really quite clever.

Once Saddam hears that this new last-chance resolution has passed, he laugh himself to death.

Comment

Well, it's obvious the US has attempted to buy some votes here. I wonder how much of this IRAQ has done. Maybe the French, Germans and Russians aren't mouthing off out of principle, but from having a full pocket. Hmmmmm
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X