Stocks Slump; Car Makers, Housing Hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocks Slump; Car Makers, Housing Hit

Demand seems to be falling badly just as it seemed that business spending was starting to increase. Housing starts was the one bright spot and that looks bad too now.

What should we do? Some economists are saying the Fed should lower interest rates. The FF rate is already 1.25%. Do we want to take the it down to zero like it is in Japan? They have been in a recession for about 10 years now and zero interest rate isn't helping. If our rates go down to zero will we be in as bad of trouble as Japan?
    "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
    "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
    "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

I've been telling you. Depression time

but seriously. The thing people forgot about the stock market. Is you can't believe the PR hype. A company is worth only as much as their profits. And many of these company's aren't making profits. And many of them lie about how much they are making.

In any case I recommend not investing in stocks and paying off your debts. And I predict real estate values will drop off quite a bit. that is your chance to buy in when it is cheap.

Comment

Lower the interest rates? That will help the unaffected only.
      If you don't have unemployment, what does a lower rate gain?

The 2 biggest areas of concern in this country, that are legitimate.

What is now being called "Homeland Security", and Employment.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Good advice Dissident. If this war begins and ends soon though things might look up for a while.

Comment

yes good oil prices will help out the economy quite a bit.

but until this is over expect rough times for the economy. energy prices and gasoline prices will be too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            I've been telling you. Depression time

but seriously. The thing people forgot about the stock market. Is you can't believe the PR hype. A company is worth only as much as their profits. And many of these company's aren't making profits. And many of them lie about how much they are making.

In any case I recommend not investing in stocks and paying off your debts. And I predict real estate values will drop off quite a bit. that is your chance to buy in when it is cheap.
            I think a lot of people think like you Dissident. People see a bit of a bubble in real estate. After all people have been selling their stocks and buying real estate. Housing starts have been good, but now they are falling off. There's bonds, but what if that market goes bad. Then where will people put their money. Maybe if they pay off enough debt they will start to spend more, but that takes a long time. Meanwhile there could be big problems in the future.

Comment

dont touch the rates
              deficit spending is driving up interest rates
              which means less investment
              threat of war is making the consumer jittery
              companies know this, and wont invest into things which wont sell
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

and btw in that quote, I hate to say this but Mr. Marx doesn't seem to know how the banks get their money, because hardly any of it is deposited by the evil capitalists
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                  deficit spending is driving up interest rates
                  Bond rates are going down though. And the tax cuts are going to the rich. My feeling is that they are going to turn around and buy bonds. I don't think these deficits will increase interest rates much.

Comment

and btw in that quote, I hate to say this but Mr. Marx doesn't seem to know how the banks get their money, because hardly any of it is deposited by the evil capitalists
                    Where there is a lender there is a borrower. One of them is usually an evil capitalist.

Comment

no you see, by spending more then thheir budget, the us govnermnet needs to borrow money from the banks. which means that there is less money in there, and sincve interest rates are the price of monney, when money becomes more scare, its price increases

Comment

Dunkan - but the majority of the money that the lendor lends does not come off the backs of the working class. In the US, banks need to have 10% of their lendings backed up by cash. that means that out of 100 dollars that you borrow, only 10 of it came from the workers

this money is hardly dripping of blood.

Comment

no you see, by spending more then thheir budget, the us govnermnet needs to borrow money from the banks. which means that there is less money in there, and sincve interest rates are the price of monney, when money becomes more scare, its price increases
                          The banks will sell the bonds to those who got the tax cuts.

Comment

and those bonds will in no way cover the deficit, because even if every dollar of the tax cut was invested into bonds, the US would still run a deficit for the next 3 years at least.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The day Saddam is DEAD, the entire world will begin to turn around.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X