Airport Blast In Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Blast In Philippines

I wonder if this means more American troops.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

MANILA, Philippines - A powerful bomb hidden in a backpack exploded Tuesday at an airport in the southern Philippines, killing at least 18 people and wounding more than 100, including three Americans, authorities said. The government called it a "brazen act of terrorism."

With many of the injured in serious condition, officials feared the death toll could rise.

No one claimed responsibility for the blast at Davao airport on Mindanao island. But the military has blamed Moro Islamic Liberation Front rebels for a string of attacks, including a car-bombing at nearby Cotabato airport last month that killed one woman.

The dead included a boy, a girl, nine men and seven women, officials said.

Davao civil defense spokeswoman Susan Madrid said the explosion occurred at 5:20 p.m. local time as dozens of people waited for a plane to arrive.

"It was a very, very loud explosion," Terry Labado, an airport official said. "I saw bodies flying."

"We rushed out of the building to see where the explosion happened," she said. "We saw many dead."

An airport security official, who did not want to be identified, said the bomb rocked the front of the terminal building, smashing windows and causing considerable damage.

"It happened ... a few minutes after a Cebu Pacific flight arrived and people packed the waiting area. There were many people killed. I saw six persons killed on the spot," the official said.

Madrid said 18 people were killed and more than 100 were injured. One hospital alone reported 91 casualties.

Two Americans, Barbara Stevens, 33, and her 9-month-old son Nathan, were brought to Davao Doctors Hospital, hospital staff said. Another American, identified as William Hyde, was treated for multiple injuries at Davao Medical Center, Dr. Manuel Tan told The Associated Press.

TV footage showed the waiting stand in front of the terminal building wrecked by the blast, metal pieces strewn on the road. The injured included young children.

Davao Mayor Rodrigo Duterte ordered all pharmacies and drug stores to remain open to supply medicine to the victims.

National Police Deputy Chief Edgar Aglipay told a Manila radio station that the explosion was caused by a bomb hidden inside a backpack.

President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo (news - web sites) "strongly condemns the Davao bombing as a brazen act of terrorism which shall not go unpunished," her spokesman Ignacio Bunye said.

Arroyo called an emergency meeting of the Cabinet oversight committee on internal security later Tuesday.

Flights to and from Davao were suspended.

The Moro rebels have been fighting for a separate Muslim homeland in the impoverished southern Philippines for three decades. Despite a 1997 shaky cease-fire, fighting has occasionally flared up.

In a separate incident Tuesday, an explosion in Tagum, north of Davao, injured two people, said military spokesman Lt. Col. Daniel Lucero. He gave no other details.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

It will mean a stepping up of the war, and the US could help its war on terror and the Philippines both by providing additional training and modern weapons. Americans in combat there...I don't think the people are ready for that, or even if it would help much. Philippinos are good soldiers...just give them the tools they need. Moslem countries provide for the rebels. Also the rebels get money from kidnapping for ransom.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

American troops, I thought, were on the way already.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh wait a minute, I thought the Americans were the bad guys? Even a 9 month old child was injured huh? Good job terrorists, now we have yet another reason to invade your countries.
        -PrinceBimz-

Comment

The evil Americans must be stopped! We must have a rally to defend the right of Islamic militants to murder children.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We bad.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is an odd thread, no posts defending this terrorist act, or even anti-war sentiments, yet you guys have still managed to whip yourselves up into a righteous outrage.

Are you being oppressed too?
              "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
              - Lone Star

Comment

I hope these murderers will get arrested, judged, and punished accoridngly to their hideous crime. I hope the philipinos won't rush killing some random Muslims and claimin after "See ? We got the terrorists !"
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The US was planning to send 1700 troops to fitgh in the Phillipines, but it seems the Phillipine constitution was unclear about what authority this was done under. I don't know if the troops are still on the way, or whether the Us and Phillipine authorities are trying to straighten things out.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko
                    This is an odd thread, no posts defending this terrorist act, or even anti-war sentiments, yet you guys have still managed to whip yourselves up into a righteous outrage.

Which post do you consider to be a righteous outrage?
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

From Princebimz downwards. Maybe "righteous outrage" was too strong a word, but the pre-emptive strike against anti-American pinkos was very amusing.
                      "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                      - Lone Star

Comment

From Princebimz downwards. Maybe "righteous outrage" was too strong a word, but the pre-emptive strike against anti-American pinkos was very amusing.
                        After Princebimz, the next two comments were more on the sarcastic side I believe.

Whatever they do, I hope they take their time and think carefully. Action is needed, but the Phillippines is not a place where they need to just go blindly tromping around.

Comment

Absolutely.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            The US was planning to send 1700 troops to fitgh in the Phillipines, but it seems the Phillipine constitution was unclear about what authority this was done under. I don't know if the troops are still on the way, or whether the Us and Phillipine authorities are trying to straighten things out.
                            their going to "train and advise" have foreigners fight would violate the Philipnine constitution. The US DOD called it "operational" in a press conf, since they know GI's may die, and they dont want to be accused of having said it was only training. The "operational" descritption got back to the Phillipines and pissed off the the phil govt royally, puttting te whole thing on hold. IIUC they are still trying to work it out.

Incidentally the joint op is against Abu sayaf on Jolo island, not the MILF on Mindanao.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

My wife is worried about 2 cousins that live in Davao.

You'll hear about bombings in Zamboanga quite a bit, Davao not so often. Both are large catholic cities in moslem areas of Mindanao. Davao is a very large city, perhaps the 4th or 5th largest in the Philippines.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X