RIAA cracks down on filesharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA cracks down on filesharing

My sister IMed my with a problem a little while ago. It turns out the RIAA has contacted the University of Arizona what a terrible thief she is. Here's some of the email...
    Dear Ms. Williams,

I am contacting you on behalf of the Recording Industry Association of America, Inc. (RIAA) and tis member record companies. The RIAA is a trade association whose member companies create, manufacture, and distribute approximately ninety percent of all legitimate sound recordings sold in the United States. Under penalty of perjury, we submit that the RIAA is authorized to act on behalf of its member companies in matters involving the infringement of their sound recordings, including enforcing their copyrights and common law rights on the Internet.

We believe a user on your network, using the above reference IP address, is offering 981 files for download through a peer to peer application. Many of these files contain copyrighted sound recordings including recordings by such artists as Ludacris, jennifer Lopez, Fabolous, Shania Twain, Brooks & Dunn, and Madonna that are owned by our member companies. For your reference we have included a representative list of some of the infringing sound recordings being offered at the above IP address.

We have a good faith belief that the above-described activity is not described by the copyright owners, their agent, or the law. We are asking for your immediate assistance in stopping this unauthorized activity. Specifically, we request that you remove or disable access to the infringing sound files via your system.

In addition, we believe it is in everyone's interest for music consumers to be better educated about the subject of copyright law and music. In addition to taking steps to notify this network user about the illegal nature of this activity, we encourage you to refer him/her to the MUSIC Coalition's new website at www.musicunited.org. The site contains valualbe information about what's legal and what's not when it comes to copying music.

You should understand that this letter constitutes notice to you that this network user may be liable for the infringing activity occurring on your network. In addition, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if you ignore this notice, your institution may also be liable for any resulting infringement. This letter does not constitute a waiver of any right to trecover damages incurred by virtue of any such unauthorized activities, and such rights as well as claims for other relief are expressly retained.

Thank you in advance for your prompt assistance in this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at antipiracy2@riaa.com, via telephone at 202-775-0101, or via mail at RIAA, 1330 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 300, Washington, D.C., 20036. Please reference Case ID 553088 in any response or communication regarding this infringement.

Sincerely,

Anti-Piracy Unit
    You would think that a person would have to do something mildly bad for the RIAA to bother right. NOPE! My sister was sharing a total of 10 that's ten files. CALL THE FEDS! We have a mastermind music theif and bootlegger here!

Seriously, doens't the RIAA have better things to do than go after poor college students for sharing next to nothing?
    "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

no, they have nothing better to do than protect their artists.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

No, because bigger things can bite back, and they will.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I doubt that's actually from the RIAA.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Burn her!!!, BUUUURN her I say!!!!!!!!!!! j/k

Did they really sign off with 'anti piracy unit'?

Well, what can you say about big business...
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

RIAA is actually doing that kind of ****.

They're also putting nodes out on popular filesharing networks with corrupted data to frustrate pirates.

Fortunately networks like eDonkey flag nodes that are RIAA and ban them from the network.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Frogger... did you not read the email? It's from the RIAA anti-piracy unit.

Urban Ranger... yeah bigger things bite back, but this is like tiny bacteria on your eyelash. Bigger things shouldn't give a damn about something like that.
              "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

asher, whats the difference between music sharing and software sharing?
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                  no, they have nothing better to do than protect their artists.
                  artists???

you mean standardised products, don't you
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Private FTPs are where it's at. They're the only place I can reliably get more obscure stuff, too.

Comment

I don't know. If she was only sharing 10 files then would they bother? I've never gotten an email and for a while I was sharing a couple hundred songs...

Was she sharing anything by a really unknown band that might have taken a personal interest in her being one of the few people sharing their song?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

alva, same thing...

Comment

Frogger... did you not read the email? It's from the RIAA anti-piracy unit.

How do you know?

Was it addressed from them?

Anyhow, one of the things that struck me is that they failed to capitalise the J in Jennifer Lopez...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's quite possible, by the way...but it just seems odd that if she wasn't a big source they'd be bothering her.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Private FTPs are where it's at
                              . Word to that.

I don't know. If she was only sharing 10 files then would they bother? I've never gotten an email and for a while I was sharing a couple hundred songs...
                              Personally, I'm sharing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000. I've never got anything. I think it's because she's got a static IP in a dorm of a major university. My IP changes everytime I unplug my modem.

Comment

Working...
                              X