Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think Of The Troops Overseas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Think Of The Troops Overseas?

Just in case there were any doubts about everyone's opinion. What do you think of the men and women who are over there or going over there to fight? Not Bush. Not Republicans. But the real life people that are over there.

There are lots of different kinds of people over there. Doctors, Lawyers, Factory workers, Teachers, Construction Workers Cops, Firefighers. There are lots of fathers, sons, daugthers, sisters, brothers, moms. Despite popular opinion, there are plenty of democratics, Libertarians, and Independents.

No need for a poll with complicated headings. Just say what you feel.

Do you blame them?

How would you treat them if you came up on one?

Do you look down on them?

Do you look up to them?

Do you know someone over there?

What is your idea of what one looks like?

There are lots of things going through my mind tonight. Some of my unit won't be going over there for various reasons. Too old, or health issues that doesn't affect them but by technicalities make them ineligible for deployment. All of those that won't be going expressed regret that they were kept out. No one wants to go but no one seems to want to be left behind. I'm just interested in some of the opinions here.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

They're just doing their job. Simple as that.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

America's Finest.

UK as well.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Iraqi soliders

Iraqi government
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
          Iraqi soliders

Iraqi government
          It's gotta suck to be an Iraqi soldier.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

US Soldiers

"It's gotta suck to be an Iraqi soldier."

It does, in fact I think during Gulf War I many of them surrendered because they didn't care to fight for Saddam.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Just to get the preliminaries down, I can't stand Bush, and don't think much of the war (mostly due to lack of real planning for post-war occupation, and the political issues we'll find ourselves in.

That said, once we're committed to action, I hope the people there stack Saddam and his army's asses as quickly as possible with the fewest possible casualties on our part.

To me, there's nothing to blame them for - they're the best in the world, professionals, dedicated, and they're carrying out the policies that they're obligated to carry out. Ultimately, if the politicians don't **** up the peace (always a big if), a lot of people will be better off.

Right now, you guys mostly look young. At 43, I'm the same age as a lot of CSM's and Brigade commanders, a bit long in the tooth, so the relative youth of warfighters is more obvious.

The people I know who are deployed, are deployed elsewhere, doing other things, but ultimately, it's all the same.

It's a ***** for the people in your unit who won't deploy with the rest of you. Being left out is hard, but being able to stick with your unit is worse.

As far as looking down, or looking up, there's some great people in the service, and some jerks, but mostly I just think "bless you" and get yourselves home in one piece after you do the jobs you have to do.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Same as Asher : they are people doing their job. I don't know why I should look down or look up to them.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: What Do You Think Of The Troops Overseas?

I'm pretty strongly against a war with Iraq right now. I think from the tone of your questions you're looking for responses from people like me.

Originally posted by Sprayber
                  Do you blame them?
                  No. They're soldiers doing the job their political leadership has told them to do. I respect any sacrifices they might have to make.

Like anybody else. I'd probably argue a bit with them if they were for the war, but also tell them I wasn't wishing them any harm (especially not on an individual level).

No.

Do you look up to them?

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. And the current situation is reminding me why I wouldn't join your Army (or even mine) unless except on an emergency basis for a fight I felt was needed.

Nope. I don't even know anybody in any armed service for any country. The closest I come is knowing my father who was in the RCAF for 8 months in the 60s.

Like any reasonably fit man with in his early to mid 20s. I'm sure most look sort of like me.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    It's a ***** for the people in your unit who won't deploy with the rest of you. Being left out is hard, but being able to stick with your unit is worse.
                    My section leader has been in for a long time. He spent three years in Vietnam and he is a vetern of the Gulf War. Saturday, they took the section away from him because he will be too old in January and there was no way they were taking him over. I asked him what he thought about not going and he said that he had mixed feelings. He wanted to be there with us but he admitted that later on he would problably be glad that he missed this one. Another guy (young E-5) isn't going over because he has Sleep apnea. How he managed to pass his last physical is beyond me, but there was no way he was getting deployed. He was pissed and wouldn't shut up about him wanting to go.

Comment

Do you blame them?
                      I don't blame them for the political decision. I do blame them for volunteering to join a military that is obviously structured for offensive rather than defensive action.

Do different than anyone else (at least no different than I treat people in real life) - very polite/civil, yet I'd make my opinions known.

I look down on them for volunteering for an organization structured towards offensive warfare, but overall, no, I do not look down on them as people - I simply look down on their decisions.

Do you look up to them?
                      No.

No.

No clue.

That answer your questions?
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hope someone from a terrorist organization or otherwise hostile country nabs your ass, David.
                        You've gone from being entertainingly ignorant, to blatantly pathetic, hurtful, and insulting.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There just doin there job!?

Well, what a job it is. Is that really what you think? They all volunteered for this job, it isn't like they were drafted. They did choose it, but they chose to do a job that would intentionally put them in harms way for a cause they chose to be worthy; protecting the nation.

I admire their courage and dedication. It may just be a job, but I have a great more deal of admiration for them then I do, say, a fry chef or a web designer.

For Crying Out Loud!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Maybe they'll grab you, too.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Do you blame them?
                              For what? The war? No.

Where? In the field? I would probably scream "don't shoot", in the shopping mall? I'd ask for a new TV for christmas. In a dark alley, 20 years from now, with them holding a knife and dripping with blood? I'd run.

Situations matter man.

On the shorter ones, yeah. But those really tall ones? Maybe if I'm on a ladder or something.

Do you look up to them?
                              See above

Got family over there, and he's the father of 3 of nephews. Rather worried, yet even as David of all ppl pointed out, it was his choice.

1. Just kidding. The cast of GI Joe, not the Cobra's side, the otherside. Every platoon is just like them, even got a bald guy smokes cigars and has tatoos all over, and carries a big gun that shoots red lasars.

---

Ya know David, ppl like them faught so that you can say things like that.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X