No announcement yet.

Question Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the name Achilles assumed when he lived amongst women?

and

How many beans make five?
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

*bumP*
      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

and

Thunderlips, the Ultimate Male

and

Five what?
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Excellent LB; my German Prof says that you are right, so it's down to you.
          Tell your German Professor that he is wrong. The "Jelly Donut" story is a myth:

Did President Kennedy Say He Was a Jelly Doughnut?

There is a persistent claim that JFK's famous German phrase, "Ich bin ein Berliner," was a gaffe that translates as "I am a jelly doughnut." But when Kennedy made that statement in a West Berlin speech in 1963, his German audience understood exactly what his words meant: "I am a citizen of Berlin." They also understood that he was saying that he stood by them in their Cold War battle against the Berlin Wall and a divided Germany.

No one laughed at or misunderstood President Kennedy's words spoken in German. In fact, he had been provided help from translators who knew the language well. He wrote out the key phrase phonetically and practiced it before his speech in front of the Schöneberg town hall in Berlin, and his words were warmly received. Yet this German myth has been perpetuated by teachers of German and other people who should know better. Although a "Berliner" is also a type of jelly doughnut, in the context used by JFK it could not have been misunderstood any more than if I told you "I am a danish" in English. Of course, you'd think I was crazy, but you wouldn't think I was claiming to be a citizen of Denmark (Dänemark). Here is Kennedy's full statement:

All free men, wherever they live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

Part of the problem here stems from the fact that in statements of nationality or citizenship, German often leaves off the "ein." But in Kennedy's statement, the "ein" was correct and expressed that he was "one" of them. Over the years there have been translation or interpreting errors with U.S. public officials abroad, but this isn't one of them.
          To put it another way, if I said "I am a New Yorker," I don't think anyone would think I was referring to myself as a magazine.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Pyrrha

If you're Imran, 2 and 2.

or

"Two in each hand and one in the mouth," said Jack to the man to whom Jack sold his cow for the magic beans.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Tell your German Professor that he is wrong. The "Jelly Donut" story is a myth:

To put it another way, if I said "I am a New Yorker," I don't think anyone would think I was referring to myself as a magazine.
              He's a she, and she's from there. She says that the word is usually used to signify the doughnut - there is some other word they have for themselves.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

He's a she, and she's from there. She says that the word is usually used to signify the doughnut - there is some other word they have for themselves.
                But she's not correct in asserting that's what Kennedy said. The line was specifically said that way to mean "I am one with Berliners," and nobody in the audience batted an eye. If he had said "Ich bin Berliner," he would have been saying "I live in Berlin," which wasn't what he meant at all. Keep in mind the line was translated by a German, and was so crucial to the speech that no such error would have been made.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Pyrrha

If you're Imran, 2 and 2.

or

"Two in each hand and one in the mouth," said Jack to the man to whom Jack sold his cow for the magic beans.
                  Mmm... reference for the first? The second one- does nobody listen to Monty Python any more? But I like the Imran/O'Brien reference....

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You are probably right, but language is an irregular thing.

Sure "I am a Danish", or "I am a New Yorker" would not be ambiguous, but what about "I am a Frankfurter", or "I am a Hamburger".
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

You are probably right, but language is an irregular thing.

Sure "I am a Danish", or "I am a New Yorker" would not be ambiguous, but what about "I am a Frankfurter", or "I am a Hamburger".
                      Or a Loinburger??

Grandpa TRoll
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Get back to the game
                        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286
                          Get back to the game
                          Hey this is part of the game, but the rules are bending to suit people. Like the answer being discussed here, or what Agethon asked about the Chimera last night. He stated it had no heads since it wasnt real.

I have a question about Santa Claus he is not real only the myth reinvented by Kris Kringles exploits. A question should be open to interpretation, if an anser is found then move on. I answered correctly and was found wrong.

Hey, if an answer is quantified accept it.

If not dont.

I dont get it, proof provided proof should be accepted

Grandpa Troll
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Mmm... reference for the first? The second one- does nobody listen to Monty Python any more? But I like the Imran/O'Brien reference....
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Bump

Comment

http://www.stanford.edu/~plomio/Deidameia.html
                                I cannot bedeck you with a laurel wreath- there are three possibles, of which Pyrrha is only one. The other two are Aissa and Cercysera. I'm intrigued that the Stanford site should be so selective.

I found my inspiration in a favourite quote from Sir Thomas Browne:

"What songs the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions, are not beyond all conjecture. "

from Urn Buriall or Hydriotaphia

Comment

Working...
                                X