Pop Up Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Up Messages

Can anybody tell me how i stop these bloody annoying pop-up windows that i keep getting sent direct to my IP number?

I am not talking about pop-up ads like you get when you log onto here, I mean an actual mssg type thing sent straight to my PC when i am online, website or no

Its getting annoying
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

oh you mean net sends? things that look something like the attachment?

i think theres a command for it, but i cant remember it off the top of my head.

Asher?
    Attached Files
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

thats exactly it, and its really annoying to. (and worrying, it has my actually IP on it )

What command where? If you can remember.

Comment

net send IP Message

Comment

yeah.
          what you have to do when you're in an nt-based computer is go into control panel-->administartive tools-->component services.

click on "services", and scroll down to "messenger", right click on that, and go to "properties".

where it says "startup type", select either manual or disabled, your choice; manual just shuts it off unless you specifically require the prog to run.

press ok, and that should stop those bloody ads.

note that this is not the same messenger as MSNIM.
          B♭3

Comment

there ya go.

usually, this happens at universities and the like, but i've seen it elsewhere.

people just cycle through all the IPs and send the same message. nothing to worry about.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

from the commandline, you can also type net stop messenger, but you'll have to do this every time you restart the computer; the solution above does it permanently.

net send IP message requires messenger to run; and all it does is send a message to whoever's at the ip address. in lieu of IP, you can also use the user's computer's name.
              B♭3

Comment

ok, thx every one.

Hopefully this stops it, i put it on disabled, should work shouldn't it?

Comment

whats really annoying is one of the pop-ups said it could stop those mssgs for me if paid $13 ir something

Comment

ok guys, i just got another pop up

I have the thing switched to disabled, is there something else i need to do? reboot or something?

Comment

yeah, you have to reboot.

sorry, forgot about that.

you won't have to reboot, though, if you do the net stop messenger command and reboot later.
                      B♭3

Comment

ok, thx, its gone now

Was getting the same silly mssg pop-up every 10mins

Comment

Working...
                        X