The War Has Already Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War Has Already Begun

According to the NYTimes, US airstrikes are becomming increasingly frequent on Iraq, focused on disabling the country's air defences, usually have been intended to enforce the no-flight zones over southern and northern Iraq and to make it easier for the United States to achieve air superiority in the event of war.

According to other news (TV, don't remember which station), US Special Ops teams area already operating inside Iraq doing surveilance and who knows what else.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Well, yeah.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Good show. It means that we will not have to kill as many people overall, especially once the real fighting starts.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: The War Has Already Begun

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        According to the NYTimes, US airstrikes are becomming increasingly frequent on Iraq, focused on disabling the country's air defences, usually have been intended to enforce the no-flight zones over southern and northern Iraq and to make it easier for the United States to achieve air superiority in the event of war.

According to other news (TV, don't remember which station), US Special Ops teams area already operating inside Iraq doing surveilance and who knows what else.
        SOCOM forces were deployed inside Iraq and Kuwait well before the last Gulf War began. Their original missions will be to conduct live surveillance and to emplace passive sensors, etc., to detect significant Iraqi troop movements.

They wouldn't be engaged in direct action missions at this time.

Airstrikes on Iraqi air defenses in the NFZ's have been mostly pinpricks historically, but air supremacy (not superiority) will be achieved within 72 hours, regardless. They just suck, and we don't.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I would have been astonished if there were not spec-ops groups already in Iraq.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

You're just now figuring this out chegitz?
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

OOC, what is the difference between air superiority and supremacy?
              "Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to hear me tell you how wrong you are."

Comment

Whoah a rare appearance by Giant Squid.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Giant_Squid
                  Air superiority means that you have a significant overall advantage in the theater of operations, with the general ability to conduct operations as you please a majority of the time.

This means that on occasion, the enemy can still contest airspace, at least for limited durations in limited areas, and that you run a risk with certain types of air movements (unarmed transports and helos, etc.)

Air supremacy means you own the skies, and can do just about anything, anywhere, any time, all the time, with only minimal hazards from smallarms ground fire or very light, portable AAA MG's or shoulder launched SAMs. With air supremacy, the enemy has no capability of mounting any large scale resistance to your air operations, and no ability at all to conduct his own air operations.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Giant_Squid
                    Air superiority is when enemy airplanes could do some missions, but can't drive you out of the sky. So you'd severaly but not entirely destroyed their defense.

Air supremacy is when your transport planes are flying over enemy teritory carrying bombs and theirs pilots are waving hands down "Yay Yay you can't hit me". And some soldiers on the ground with some IR missiles "Are you definitely sure?"

Comment

When you have air supremacy, a conventional style war has already been won.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: The War Has Already Begun

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

So your point is, that starting should be delayed until...when?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

In 1944 some General described air supremacy: "The birds had better be wearing Allied insignia."
                          "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

There have been US troops on the ground in Iraq for a couple of months or more. We are well established in the north where the Kurds have driven off the Iraqis and set up what is basicly an autonomous region. This is what concerned the Turks so much, and no doubt the Iranians as well, though we don't hear so much about it.

At least this is my understanding of the situation.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

wake me up when we get to the good stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X