Turks throw spanner in Bush's plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogger
    I suggest they vote for MPs who voted their conscience and against those who kissed US ass.
    ...because those who 'kissed US ass' could not possibly have been voting their conscience?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

...because those who 'kissed US ass' could not possibly have been voting their conscience?
      Not a chance.

If you hadn't noticed, I was engaging in a bit of rhetoric...

And I think you know what I mean. Plus, when 100 MPs vote against their own party you have to know that a significant number of the rest were going along out of party loyalty...
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It seems that the vote was actually pretty close. the gov't missed something like 4 votes.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          It seems that the vote was actually pretty close. the gov't missed something like 4 votes.
          Yes, but the government has single-party control of nearly 2/3 of the seats in parliament (364 out of 550 seats, IIRC). They only mustered 261 "yes" votes; that's a pretty big revolt by the back-benchers. Most of the party members voting nay or abstaining come, not surprisingly, from the Southwest, from the areas with large Kurdish populations near the Iraqi border.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
          X