The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club: Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club: Foundation

For starters, April’s book is Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card. Easily the clear winner with 13 votes, over Larry Niven and his Ringworld’s 9.

Let’s start with the standard info. Be warned that this book has been reprinted quite a number of times by different publishers:

Name: Foundation
    Author: Isaac Asimov
    Published: 1951 in novel form, though the individual stories within were published in Astounding magazine in the proceeding decade.*
    Publisher: Avon Books. Currently, Bantam books owns the publishing rights.

The scope of this discussion is the original novel, btw, and if you bring up the subsequent novels in your posts, please use the spoiler tag. Thanks!

Synopsis:

Foundation, and its two sequels Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation, tell the story of the collapse of the Galactic Empire and the efforts by a group of scientists to shorten the period of anarchy after the Fall. The novel starts by introducing us to the world of Hari Seldon, the founder of Psychohistory, a mathematical study of psychology which Seldon developed into a very powerful tool for predicting the general flow of history. Seldon is aware that the millennia-old Galactic Empire that he inhabits is in its last days, and while he can do nothing to prevent the crash, his studies in Psychohistory have made him aware of a plan of action that could, if successful, compress the resulting Dark Ages from 30,000 years to a “mere” 1,000. Foundation tells the story of the first 150 years of Seldon’s plan.

“The Psychohistorians”, the first chapter, introduces us to Hari Seldon and shows his efforts to have the two Foundations set up in time before the Empires collapse – we learn that one Foundation is to be placed on the planet “Terminus”, which is located on the periphery of the Empires rule, but we do not learn the location of the 2nd Foundation. Terminus is a metal-poor planet, and is one that is quite vulnerable to attack.

The second chapter, “The Encyclopedists” takes place 50 years after the end of Chapter 1 and introduces us to both Salvor Hardin, the mayor of Terminus City (meaning he is also the de facto ruler of the planet Terminus) and the “hero” of this and the next chapter, and, more importantly, the concept of the “Seldon Crisis” – a problem that Seldon considers to be so knotty there is an actual probability of the Plan breaking down. Because of the predictive power of Psychohistory, Seldon is able to record a number of speeches relating to the Seldon crisises and the lessons supposedly learned by future audiences, speeches that are usually viewed by the Foundations leaders after the crisis has been solved. In Chapter 2 the story really takes off as the Foundation turns from the passive collecting and codifying of knowledge towards a more pragmatic view of the Foundations role in the local sphere of space… and eventually, the Galaxy. Chapter 2 ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, with the reader being told that the solution to the problem that faces the Foundation is “Obvious as all Hell!” Unfortunately for the reader, we have to read Chapter 3 to find out what the solution actually was.

Chapter 3, “The Mayors”, continues the story of Salvor Hardin 30 years after the events in Chapter 2. Over the course of the chapter we learn that Hardin has established a “religion of science”, with a priesthood that is trained and inculcated on Terminus. The priests are the only ones capable of maintaining the technology (especially in the use of atomic power) needed to run an industrial society. By the end of the chapter, the Foundation uses this priesthood to effectively seize control of the nearest 4 planetary kingdoms (in the process the reader learns that a “Balance of Power” philosophy was used by the Foundation to keep the 4 kingdoms from invading her earlier), but Seldon notes that the use of the Priesthood is limited, as once the news gets out that the Foundation is using the priesthood to gain control the priests will be forbidden from proselytizing on new worlds.

In Chapter 4, “The Traders,” we find that Seldon was correct, and now the Foundation is beginning to use the power of economics to further expand its reach, even to the point of corrupting entire planetary governments. This theme is fully explored by the end of Chapter 5, “The Merchant Princes,” where the Foundation is fully set on the path of economic conquest and domination.

*Publishing History of the various chapters:

Chapter Name, Original Story Name, Date Published (all stories originally published in Astounding magazine)

The Psychohistorians, “Foundation”, May 1942.
    The Encyclopedists, “Foundation”, May 1942.
    The Mayors, “Bridle and Saddle”, June 1942.
    The Traders, “The Wedge”, October 1944.
    The Merchant Princes, “The Big and the Little”, August 1944.

Impact

It would be hard to overestimate the impact and influence of both Foundation and Asimov upon science fiction, especially in the fiction written before the advent of the “New Wave” of science fiction (in America, the New Wave is usually dated from the appearance of Harlan Ellison’s (ed.) Dangerous Visions anthology in 1967). Since I’m kind of a “listy” kind of guy, I’ll go to my favorite format to (hopefully) prove my point.

1. For starters, emotion and the existence of passion has ZERO impact on the events of the novel – as a matter of fact, every character that operates on motive(s) based upon emotion always loses to the more rational minded Foundation and its leaders.

2. As far as I can tell, Foundation is the first series of novels in the history of science fiction with a connected storyline. Serials have been in existence long before Foundation of course (especially in the Western genre), but (for the most part) the actions in one book are independent of the story in another. Foundation differs from the standard serial format in that it takes three full-length novels to tell one story.

3. Foundation is also one of the earliest examples of “Space Opera”, a sub-genre of science fiction where strict scientific accuracy takes a backseat to the needs of building a Universe out of whole cloth. Space Operas do not concern themselves with principles of physics/chemistry/etc (ala Hal Clement and early Niven), but rather with less “scientific” disciplines such as sociology and economics. Many people look down upon Space Operas because of their lack of strict scientific accuracy, but they’re pretty much nobs in my opinion.

4. Women? What women? Non-whites? What non-whites? I can’t really blame Foundation for the subsequent drought of female and non-Caucasian characters in science fiction, but Asimov wasn’t one to write a female character where a man could do. I do not think that there is a single female character of consequence in Foundation except for the Commdora in the last chapter.

5. Standard themes that would be continually explored in science fiction make some of their earliest appearance here: the use and impact of atomic weapons and power, the supremacy of rationalism and thought over emotion and passion, the ever-increasing stifling nature of bureaucracy and the tendency (in sci-fi at least) for authors to think in terms of a monolithic and monopolistic State.

6. Joseph Campbell and Astounding magazine, who almost single-handedly kept science fiction alive as a viable genre in the 1940s.

7. And, of course, the beginnings of the career of Isaac Asimov, possibly the most influential and widely-read writer in the history of the genre.

8. The Foundation series was voted “Best All-Time Series” by the Hugo awards in 1965. It would be interesting to see what a similar vote today would be (I think Dune or LOTR would win, btw).

Comment

Are you sure the characters were all white? It's been awhile since I read those books, but it seems to me that most of the characters weren't physically described in enough detail to be sure what their race was. And I remember one major female character, Bayta Darrell, who showed up in (IIRC) Second Foundation.
      "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Yeah, I don't recall any mention of skin tone in Foundation.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Hmmm. Perhaps Asimov didn't specify the race of his characters (there is a lack of physical description, though we do learn that Seldon has blue eyes and age spots), but, not to be offensive or anything, they all sound White as all hell.

Typically though, if a character or a society is of a different race than the author, the author usually makes note of that fact.

Comment

What about psychohistory itself? I don't know about y'all but it seems like the most incredible idea in all of his books. I'd imagine it'd be like Economics, but with much worse predictive capability, as hard as that is to imagine. I wonder if there are there any emergent properties in historical systems. Or any feedback systems.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Well, they sounded "white" because Asimov was "translating" for a very predominately white readership. The residents of a galactic empire thousands of years from now probably won't speak English, at least not in any form we'd recognize. A story set in such an empire has to render the dialogue in a form its readers will understand.
              "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Possibly. You're right about Bayta Darrell - I didn't remember her as I didn't read the sequels before this thread.

But still - Sci Fi before the '60s New Wave was dominated by White Males. As I noted, that isn't Asimov's fault but the trend is quite unmistakeable. More than likely it was just a sign o' the times.

Comment

Haven't got time to write much, having just got back from London after a hellish train journey...
                  Main female characters? Bayta Darell (Foundation and Empire), Arcadia Darell (Second Foundation), Bliss (Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth), Speakeress Delora Delarmi, Sura Novi (both Foundation’s Edge) and most important of all, Dors Venabili (Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation).

Anyway.
                  What I love about Foundation is the fact that, despite the Seldon Plan, humanity is still very dependent on individuality. Seldon predicts the broad sweep of history and can tell what events will transpire, but it is still down to the genius of certain individuals to ensure that these events do happen.
                  For example, Salvor Hardin's single-handed defeat of Anacreon. Psychohistory could not predict his actions; instead of sitting back and relying on the Plan to guide the Foundation safely through the crisis, he took an active role and brought the crisis to an end.
                  What Foundation effectively reminds us is that, although there are greater forces working all around us, we are not isolated from them. Any individual is capable of being the fulcrum upon which a great decision balances. The sweep of history can be diverted down a different path by the actions of one person.
                  This theme continues throughout the rest of the series. The machinations of history, economics and religion are mere side-issues compared to individuals, from the Mule to Bayta Darell, from Golan Trevize to Preem Palver. Most importantly of all, even the all-encompassing Plan can be derailed by a single person - the mutant Mule, and disaster can be averted by a single person - Bayta Darell.

My two cents. Also, a friend and I have worked out where the Foundation characters stand with relation to the Major Arcana of the Tarot. While that’s not everyone’s cup of tea, the explanations are actually really interesting. Want me to post it?
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Eighteen minutes after midnight? Dang John.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
                        Want me to post it?
                        I think that would be kinda cool. Didn't Jung write that that the trumps cards lay out the major characters phenotypes for literature? Azimov wrote this in Jung's day. It may all be crap, but that won't make it any interesting than other types of literary criticism.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Oh, nuts, haven't gotten to rereading it.

The early Foundation novels have grown on me over the years. When I was young teen, I found them unbearingly dry compared to the later Prelude to Foundation. Now, I think they are excellent.

I love the handling of the solutions of the crises and the machinations of the main characters. Emotions suck anyway.

As for women, I don't think Asimov was capable of writing convincing ones. I very much hated the Arkady/Mama/Papa plotline of one of the subsequent novels. Asimov considered one of his robot stories his greatest failure because he couldn't get the female character right (I think it was Liar, Liar).

Race-wise, the Galactic Empire did not necessarily have the same distinct ones as we do. A movie could cast pretty much any race into any of the roles with great success (as Kenneth Branaugh demostrated in his Hamlet).
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
                            Haven't got time to write much, having just got back from London after a hellish train journey...
                            Main female characters? Bayta Darell (Foundation and Empire), Arcadia Darell (Second Foundation), Bliss (Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth), Speakeress Delora Delarmi, Sura Novi (both Foundation’s Edge) and most important of all, Dors Venabili (Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation).

Anyway.
                            What I love about Foundation is the fact that, despite the Seldon Plan, humanity is still very dependent on individuality. Seldon predicts the broad sweep of history and can tell what events will transpire, but it is still down to the genius of certain individuals to ensure that these events do happen.
                            For example, Salvor Hardin's single-handed defeat of Anacreon. Psychohistory could not predict his actions; instead of sitting back and relying on the Plan to guide the Foundation safely through the crisis, he took an active role and brought the crisis to an end.
                            What Foundation effectively reminds us is that, although there are greater forces working all around us, we are not isolated from them. Any individual is capable of being the fulcrum upon which a great decision balances. The sweep of history can be diverted down a different path by the actions of one person.
                            This theme continues throughout the rest of the series. The machinations of history, economics and religion are mere side-issues compared to individuals, from the Mule to Bayta Darell, from Golan Trevize to Preem Palver. Most importantly of all, even the all-encompassing Plan can be derailed by a single person - the mutant Mule, and disaster can be averted by a single person - Bayta Darell.

My two cents. Also, a friend and I have worked out where the Foundation characters stand with relation to the Major Arcana of the Tarot. While that’s not everyone’s cup of tea, the explanations are actually really interesting. Want me to post it?
                            I'm glad my throw-away comment regarding women and non-Caucasions is causing some discussion.

It isn't until we get past the first book that the above analysis by Clear Skies becomes clear. I definitely agree that Asimov took a liking to the "Great Man" theory of historical development, though the reader really must go past the first novel to get the idea - actually, except for Seldon himself, the first novel doesn't really read that way at all. Even Hardin believed in The Plan and thought that there was an irresistable path to history: one that he played a part in, true, but a part that was already defined by Seldon. Yes, Seldon didn't tell him the "answer" to the problems, but Hardin did have enough faith in Seldon as to believe that the solution would naturally occur to him - and a person who believes and acts will generally accomplish more than one who doesn't believe but acts anyway.

My favorite name: Poly Verisof. Sounds like a software outfit if you ask me.

Comment

Oh, yes, by all means, post the Tarot piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X