Baltic Republics Will Be Offered to Return Soviet Investments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltic Republics Will Be Offered to Return Soviet Investments

After the break-up of the USSR, political and economic relations of Russia with the republics of former USSR were different. The relations with the three Baltic republics were the most difficult. However, as it turned out in the course of time, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia are closely connected with Russia. And any sanctions introduced by the Russian leadership for this or that reason, immediately had an effect upon the general economic situation of these countries. Probably this is the reason why the Baltic countries always have some economic claims to the Russian Federation. This especially concerns compensation of the damage caused by the so-called “Soviet occupation.” However, the State Duma treats the problem from a pragmatic point of view.

According to APN.Ru (the Agency of Political Information), the State Duma committee for international affairs approved a draft resolution “On commissions to the RF Accounts Chamber” submitted by deputy Viktor Alksnis. Duma deputies plan to charge the Accounts Chamber with verification of “effectiveness and expedience of spending the public funds, and usage of the Soviet property in the Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian Soviet republics in 194-1941 and usage of the federal property in the Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian republics in 1991-1996.” As the Duma committee for international affairs reports, this document will be considered at one of its plenary sessions in January.

The author of the document, Duma deputy Viktor Alksnis thinks that this is a justified approach to the political and economic relations with the Baltic countries, which may soon become rightful members of the European Union. In fact, the USSR had founded the present-day industrial and transport infrastructure in the Baltic republics, and secured the highest possible standard of well-being to the population of the republics within decades. Moreover, Russia also did much economic favor to the young Baltic states in the 1990s. When the contingents of Soviet troops were withdrawn from the territory of the Baltic republics, the governments of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania got expensive military objects practically for free. They were valued at hundreds of billions dollars. Thus, Alksnis says that an aerodrome in Zoknjae is valued at more than 5 billion dollars.

If we take into consideration the fact that the USSR’s western defense boundary passed via the territory of the Baltic republics, we can see that the cost of the objects that still remain there is perfectly comparable with Russia’s foreign debt. Viktor Alksnis says that total cost of all Soviet objects left on the territory of the former Baltic republics hasn’t been yet professionally estimated. It means that the RF Accounts Chamber is in for a large-scale work. According to the provisional estimates done by Viktor Alksnis himself, the Soviet Union invested approximately 80-85 billion dollars in Latvia and Lithuania, and 40-45 billion dollars in Estonia.

The deputy says, the problem is complicated with the territorial acquisitions of the Baltic republics that cannot be valued in money equivalent. Viktor Alksnis suggests that the State Duma must consider the juridical reasons of these territorial acquisitions. Deputies postponed consideration of the problem till February.
    Besides, the State Duma committee for international affairs made a decision to postpone ratification of the Russian-Lithuanian boundary agreement till May. Lithuania wants the agreement to be ratified as soon as possible because of it’s prospective incorporation into NATO and the European Union. But it will have to wait for some time.

In the light of the forthcoming incorporation of the Baltic republics into the United Europe, the problem of Russia’s material and territorial claims to these “little favorites” of the European community look rather insignificant. It’s obvious that nobody will allow Russia to get some money from the Baltic republics all of a sudden or to deprive them of some territories. The author of the document, deputy Viktor Alksnis treats this perspective rather skeptically. “It’s clear that I don’t expect that Russia would seek for restitution of any property from the Baltic republics. However, as long as Lithuania officially claims that Russia must “compensate the damage caused by the Soviet occupation” and appeals to the world community in connection with this claim, we should have counter claims ready at hand.”

The problem has gone too far that Lithuania even adopted a law “On compensation of damage caused by the Soviet occupation” and a special referendum was held in connection with the problem. On December 4, Estonia’s Foreign Minister declared that Tallinn would also set up a special commission to estimate the rate of a similar “damage.” Latvia may also join the claims of its neighbors; the three Baltic republics plan to make a joint statement and bring an action to the sum of 55-60 billion dollars against Russia.

The instruction given to the RF Accounts Chamber allows Russia’s authorities to get ready for attacks of the “aggressive” Baltic democracies and to obtain all necessary information about the actual state of things in the republics.

Picture: Duma deputy Viktor Alksnis

Ahtyam Ahtyrov
    PRAVDA.Ru
    Just how fuked up in the brain can one get? They come in, screw with a country for 50 years, kill 5% of people and then demand compensation for stuff they built here.

I wish someone snuffs this Alksnis out of his miserable life.
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Re: Baltic Republics Will Be Offered to Return Soviet Investments

Good for them.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Tass, go back your hole and stay there, you troll.
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
        Tass, go back your hole and stay there, you troll.
        Hey, I live in UTAH.

I suppose you say its kind of like the Lithuania of America
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

It is totally illogical to occupy a country for 50 years and then demand the occupiee pay part of the expenses the occupier incured during their crimes.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Like you know anything about Lithuania, you Mormon Troll

Comment

In fact, the USSR had founded the present-day industrial and transport infrastructure in the Baltic republics

That's absurd. The Baltic States were far more industrialized on average than Russia during their first indepenence between the two world wars. The baselines from which the Soviets raised the Baltics and the one from which they raised Russia are not comparable at all.

If anything, Russia owes THEM money for taking away and preventing so much that could have been used to improve the aforementioned infrastructure and general economy.

Russia was forced to disgorge both Finland and Estonia in the treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Estonia was several degrees of magnitude far more industrialized than the poor ex-Duchy of Finland. However, Estonia was reannexed by the Soviets but Finland was not. Now, Estonia lags far behind its northern neighbour.

Soviet Russia took away and/or mishandled far more than it ever gave back. The defense installations that it left in its wake are irrelevant to the Baltic States -- they aren't going to war with Sweden anytime soon -- and are nothing but an unfortunate mistake to the Russians. They may have cost a lot to build, but they are worthless now.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

St Leo -

Comment

Does anyone have GDP figures for Baltric states pre - WW2? I'd like to compare just how far have we lagged behind due to the bastard commies.

Comment

Maybe they could counter sue for all those interned in Gulags who never returned
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Just pay them in East German Marks, that should 'fairly' compensate them for their investment
                      Be the bid!

Comment

The defense installations that it left in its wake are irrelevant to the Baltic States -- they aren't going to war with Sweden anytime soon
                        why not?
                        CSPA

Comment

Ganger, because they'd have to go through us first.. and that's not going to happen
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Umm wait a minute.. they actually don't have to go through us
                            Leave us something too!
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sten Sture
                              Just pay them in East German Marks, that should 'fairly' compensate them for their investment

Tass, I understand you're pro-Russia, but that doesn't mean you have to be a dumbass.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X