Iraq agrees to destroy missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Frogger
    Ned, whether they will or not doesn't make a difference; at best it does little to tighten the credit supply. At worst it dries it up completely. Isn't this exactly the opposite of what you intended?
    I so long as they only keep 10% reserves and the reserves are growing, the total money supply is growing. This cannot tighten credit.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• The money supply would shrink if the banks increased their reserves. The multiplier effect would more than offset the increase from the Fed.
      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• Ned, you make no sense. You assume that the reserves will grow because you stimulate them to grow (this is true) but also somehow that taking cash money from the banks and putting it in the Fed will increase their capacity to lend?

Holy ****...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by DAVOUT
          No problem, to morrow if you like. We will be interested in watching the Young Europe competing with the Old one.
          May Austria join you in the out-EU? I´d rather belong to Old Europe.
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frogger
            Ned, you make no sense. You assume that the reserves will grow because you stimulate them to grow (this is true) but also somehow that taking cash money from the banks and putting it in the Fed will increase their capacity to lend?

Holy ****...
            For every dollar of reserve interest paid, the banks can lend 90 cents and only ten cents is added to reserves.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• oliverfa , one would think so, yes!

However, the peacenik crowd is pointing out how "cooperative" Saddam is being for graciously offering the destruction of the missiles he obviously knew nothing about in his country.....

It's amusing....put your hand on a hot stove, and it burns, so you take it away.

A few minutes later....you put your hand back on the stove, and much to your amazement....IT BURNS AGAIN!

Take your hand away....wait a few more minutes....put your hand back on the stove. Yep....still burns.

Eventually, one would think that the message would begin to seep through even the most lovable, thick-headed people around.

If the stove is hot, and you put your hand there....it WILL burn.

But no....apparently this is some deeply mysterious message as it relates to Saddam Hussein, and rather than seeing the missiles for what they are (a blatant defiance of 1441, and by themselves--never mind the anthrax we know he bought, and all the other stuff he has yet to provide destruction orders for--PROVE non-compliance.....no....instead, we should focus on his willingness to destroy the missiles (but only after being caught red-handed) as proof of what a nice, cooperative man he is....

Yeah.

-=Vel=-
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                For every dollar of reserve interest paid, the banks can lend 90 cents and only ten cents is added to reserves.
                Ned,

You are neglecting the possibility that banks will see dollars as a safer investment than loans and stockpile excess reserves. If you pay banks to keeps reserves that will make dollars a better investment and increase the possibility of banks hoarding dollars. That's a dangerous thing to do when the economy is in such danger.

Comment

• He's not neglecting it....it's simply that it'd never be the case.

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

The Federal government would do better offering loans of its own. Which it already does.

Holy sh*t, man.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Plato :
                      I thought the upcoming "2nd resolution" on the Iraq issue is precisely intended to bring the word "force" in a UN resolution ?
                      I admit my sources on the topic are biased (French left-wing news). Do you know where I can find the official speeches countries held at the time 1441 was passed ? You seem to know much more about the UN than I do. Thx
                      Spiffor, I have been unable to locate specific transcripts of security council presentations. I have attached two links to help clarify the background.

Security counsel press release concerning 1441:

Included are the resolution itself and the statements of the council members and the Secretary General

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2002/SC7564.doc.htm

Wrt the French position on use of force I am attaching a BBC article from 06 Feb 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2732939.stm

I will continue to look for transcripts for you.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
                        He's not neglecting it....it's simply that it'd never be the case.

-=Vel=-
                        It is the case. Banks are very rational. Loans are much more risky than cash. At some point they would rather keep the cash than make more loans. That point comes sooner if they are paid a return for holding cash.

Comment

• Interest rates are already zero in Japan. The Bank of Japan is buying government debt to stimulate the economy. I don't agree with it though. It's tough for Japan because their economy isn't as big as that of the US, but I still say huge budget deficits are the only thing that will help them. Big deficits in the US would certainly help them even more.

Comment

Ned's analysis is correct to a point.

The Fed should only pay interest on the required reserves.

Further, this would increase the money supply with a multiplier effect of 2 times for government lending and 3 times for consumer and business lending. Therefore you could assume that the net effect on M1 would be .01 X (.1 X reserve requirement) X 2 for government lending and .01 X (.1 X reserve requirement) X 3 for consumer or business lending.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Ozz

GA resolution isn't binding? Sounds like a bit of lawyer
                              snakeoil here. More like 'yer too strong or important to
                              attack' or 'your not worth the expense to attack'.
                              Hardly, rather it was one of the elements in the writing of the charter. thats why the big powers insisted on vetos in the UNSC only. Its a huge difference, one all the UN is familiar with.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Hardly, rather it was one of the elements in the writing of the charter. thats why the big powers insisted on vetos in the UNSC only. Its a huge difference, one all the UN is familiar with.
                                Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X