Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudis Transfer $500M To Al Quaeda

REPORT: SAUDIS TRANSFER $500M TO AL QAIDA

WASHINGTON -- Saudi Arabia is said to have transferred $500 million to Al Qaida over the past decade.

A report submitted to the United Nations asserts that the Saudi funds represent the most important source of financing for Al Qaida. The study said Riyad, pressured by leading officials, has failed to stop the flow of money to Al Qaida in wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 suicide attacks on New York and Washington.

"One must question the real ability and willingness of the kingdom to exercise any control over the use of religious money in and outside of the country," the report said.

The 34-page report was written by a French investigator at the request of Colombia, which occupies the presidency of the Security Council. Jean- Charles Brisard, the investigator, has long studied the issue of Saudi financing of Islamic insurgency groups.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Yes, the question is, what is the US going to do about it?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Take Iraq, sell the oil, impoverish the Saudis?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

IIRC, CIA also funded the Al-Qaida in the late 80's and early 90's...
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I knew that SA had paid Al Qaeda in the past, in order to persuade them not to perform terrorist acts on Saudi soil (and by inference, to perform terrorist acts elsewhere), but I was under the impression that that had stopped after 9/11, from pressure by Washington. Guess I was wrong.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
            Take Iraq, sell the oil, impoverish the Saudis?
            And maybe pull out our troops from SA? (Of course, that might risk it becoming the next Afghanistan - we have to make sure there is a credible birth of stable democracy there...)
            Last edited by Edan; February 27, 2003, 05:56.
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

The main thing is to cut off the funding at its source.

Comment

Supporting a dictatorial religious state is surely one of the connerstones of US foreign policy. Especaily a state which oppresses women and non muslims(and muslims who aren't the right flavour)
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Tell it to Iran.

Comment

Iran, which is by no means a free country is less repressive than Saudi Arabia.
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

hi ,

in brussels , belgium there is an embassy from all the gulfstates , in the entrance is a large map , ( gold plated ) that does not show Israel , ....

on the bottom it reads "donated by the royal kingdom of saudi arabia" , .....

well what can you expect from people who still cut other peoples heads and feet , .....

not to mention about the westerners who are still jailed today for suspected involvement of bombings , .....

the saudis covered up the investigation in the american barracks a couple years ago , .....

this is an old article from before 9/11 , ......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE=7/12/99
                      TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
                      NUMBER=2-251666
                      TITLE=BOMBING ARRESTS (L)
                      BYLINE=LAURIE KASSMAN
                      DATELINE=LONDON
                      CONTENT=
                      VOICED AT:

INTRO: TWO EGYPTIANS HAVE APPEARED IN A LONDON COURT ON CHARGES
                      OF CONSPIRACY TO MURDER. AS CORRESPONDENT LAURIE KASSMAN REPORTS
                      FROM LONDON, A U-S WARRANT FOR EXTRADITION OF THE TWO MEN ACCUSES
                      THEM OF BOMBING TWO AMERICAN EMBASSIES LAST YEAR IN AFRICA.

TEXT: THE TWO MEN APPEARED IN A LONDON COURT TO START THE
                      EXTRADITION CASE AGAINST THEM. BRITISH AUTHORITIES HAVE
                      IDENTIFIED THE MEN AS IBRAHIM HUSSEIN ABDEL HADI EIDAROUS AND
                      ABEL MOHAMMED ABDUL ALMAGID BARY. THEY WERE ARRESTED SUNDAY
                      AFTER THE U-S GOVERNMENT ISSUED AN ARREST WARRANT FOR THEIR
                      EXTRADITION.

U-S AUTHORITIES ARE LINKING THE TWO MEN TO THE 1998 BOMBINGS OF
                      THE U-S EMBASSIES IN NAIROBI AND DAR ES SALAAM. MORE THAN
                      220-PEOPLE DIED IN THE TWO TERRORIST ATTACKS, MORE THAN
                      FIVE-THOUSAND WERE INJURED.

LAWYERS FOR THE U-S GOVERNMENT TOLD THE COURT THEY HAVE EVIDENCE
                      THE TWO MEN WERE INVOLVED IN THE 1998 EMBASSY BOMBINGS. BOTH MEN
                      HAVE DENIED THE CHARGES.

THE MEN ARE BEING CHARGED WITH CONSPIRING WITH A SAUDI ISLAMIC
                      MILITANT, OSAMA BIN LADEN, TO MURDER AMERICANS.

A SAUDI CITIZEN, WHO ALSO IS LINKED TO OSAMA BIN LADEN, WAS
                      ARRESTED IN LONDON LAST SEPTEMBER AND ALSO FACES EXTRADITION TO
                      THE UNITED STATES ON SIMILAR CHARGES.

U-S AUTHORITIES ACCUSE OSAMA BIN LADEN OF FINANCING AND
                      MASTERMINDING THE ATTACKS IN KENYA AND TANZANIA. THE U-S
                      GOVERNMENT ALSO HAS ACCUSED THE ALLEGED TERRORIST OF ATTACKS
                      AGAINST U-S PERSONNEL IN SAUDI ARABIA AND SOMALIA.

THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION HAS PUT OSAMA BIN LADEN ON
                      ITS LIST OF THE 10 MOST WANTED CRIMINALS. A FIVE-MILLION DOLLAR
                      REWARD HAS BEEN OFFERED FOR HIS CAPTURE.

OSAMA BIN LADEN HAS BEEN BASED IN AFGHANISTAN AND ALLEGEDLY RUNS
                      A NETWORK OF ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS IN AFRICA AND THE MIDDLE EAST.
                      (SIGNED)

NEB/LMK/JWH/RAE

12-Jul-99 9:44 AM EDT (1344 UTC)
                      NNNN

Source: Voice of America

and today they still say they did nothing wrong , .....

many times before it has been proven that they supported al q with use of the diplomatic mail , passports , cars with diplomatic plates , funding religious and extremists mosks , etc , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                        Iran, which is by no means a free country is less repressive than Saudi Arabia.
                        hi ,

they are a funny case , ..... on one hand they put jews in jail in the country side , but they leave the jews in the capital alone , ......

if you dont kick them they really leave you alone , .....

maybe its because they are "different" from the rest of the arab world , .....

dig up the iran contra affair , .... they asked that israel notabene would deliver the spare pieces they needed , .....

the language and culture is also different then the rest of the arab world , .....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Step 1. US invades Iraq, establishes friendly regime, secures oil supplies and gets military basing rights.

Step 2. Saudi Arabia falls into civil war (promoted by CIA?) and becomes fundamentalist state.

Step 3. US forces (based in Iraq) move into Saudi to "restore order" and establish friendly regime.

Time will tell.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                            Step 1. US invades Iraq, establishes friendly regime, secures oil supplies and gets military basing rights.

Step 2. Saudi Arabia falls into civil war (promoted by CIA?) and becomes fundamentalist state.

Step 3. US forces (based in Iraq) move into Saudi to "restore order" and establish friendly regime.

Time will tell.
                            hi ,

, there are some tribes who have wanted to break away since about the 30's , .....

lets hope we dont get lunatics , .... its on our doorstep afterall , ....

have a nice day

Comment

The question is who cares ? The big meanie is Saddam, didn't you watch your CNN today ?
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X