Why is scalping illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is scalping illegal?

I dont get it... it seems legitimate. You buy tickets then re-sell them. its the standard merchant idea of buy low sell high yet you can get arrested. For what reason? What legal basis is there for this?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Because it hurts to lose your scalp ?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Do you know what a pissoff it is to have tickets go on sale for, I don't know, say 50 bucks a pop at the ticket agency; scalper offices hire bums to stand in line to buy up all tickets, then mark them up in price.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Slowwwhand:

But what legal basis is there for making it illegal? if anything, the scalper is in the right because he purchases a ticket and can do whatever he wants with it. is this one of those laws that just exists without having any abstract legal basis?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

In any sort of contract, in this a contract to sell something, you have a right to attach conditions to the contract when making it. In this case, the contract bans reselling the ticket.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I know. Many say it's an outdated law.
            What should happen is people boycott buying scalped tickets.

" $17 tickets to a Garth Brooks concert for $800 each"
            Uhhh, no thank you. Choke on it.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Scalping is not illegal in all venues. If it were a licensing issue, it should aplly everywhere. I believe that it would be more of a local regulated activity. It should be legal in my opinion.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

"This item is not for resale"
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

He knows what it says. He wants to know why it says it.

Comment

Why is it illegal to just set up a table on the sidewalk and sell items? Because you need a permit to do it. Why? Because a licensed vendor is far less likely to be cheating the customers.

Many scalpers hock bogus tickets. It happens all the time in New York. Were scalping legal, police would have far less means of controlling this kind of swindling.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It was funny in manhattan, they were all these guys selling cd's and stuff, in the street. THey had a big blanket placed in the street and cd's in the blanket.. then there was the look out guy who whistled and then all the 'vendors' grabbed their blankets, cd's inside them, and changed to new spot .
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

CD bootlegs are so easily done.

Comment

Yep.. but the best 'street business' was these guys having big sign that said they're selling pick up lines that will work for let's say one dollar per pick up line .

I guess it was working since they were in the same place with that same sign for many days.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

And as for the topic here, there have been many problems with people selling fake tickets..
                            In da butt.

Comment

Shi -
                              In any sort of contract, in this a contract to sell something, you have a right to attach conditions to the contract when making it. In this case, the contract bans reselling the ticket.
                              True, but who required this contract, the law or the original ticket sellers? Scalping should not be illegal and there is a simple free market solution as you've touched on - the original ticket sellers can simply prohibit the re-selling of the tickets as part of the contract. If I buy 4 tickets for a concert and 1 person opts out, I shouldn't be forced to take the loss. If the law prohibits me from re-selling the ticket - "scalping" - then the law should also require the original ticket seller to refund my money.

Comment

Working...
                              X