No announcement yet.

Weapons of Mass Disruption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, if you spread that small amount of radioactive material around, the radiation density becomes very low.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

Biological weapons have a different problem. The ideal biological weapon is an organism that is very contagious, acts quickly to either kill or incapacitate its victims, and is easy to deliver. Now, there are very few species of bacteria and virus that meet all these criteria. Anthrax is easy to deliver, but easy to treat. Black plague is highly contagious and quite deadly, but the antibiotics that treat it have been available for a very long time. Even smallpox, the most likely biological weapon of the modern era, could be stopped by effectively-administered vaccination.

The biological weapons of the 21st century, then, would have to be genetically-tailored retroviruses, that spread by touch, by air, and by food and water, that destroy their host extremely quickly. In other words, they would have to be bred to be weapons, not viruses. I really don't know if such a thing will ever be possible.

The biggest problem, of course, with biological weapons is the same as the biggest problem with chemical weapons: What happens if they get back to the friends and relatives of the people who unleashed them?
      The escape of a super bio weapon is the premise of Stephen King's The Stand. The bug, of course, destroy virtually everyone in the world.

I hope Saddam is not working on such a superweapon.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

DuncanK: I did not see the NOVA show, but I did read panags post all the way through. I think that this type of weapon is chilling. I know the world is right in trying to keep them out of the hands of a dictator that has attacked two of his neighbors.

GePap has made the argument that Iraq is contained. How can you contain an attack that only requires a 1 inch by 12 inch rod of nuclear material and 10 pounds of TNT?

I am more convinced than ever that the leadership in Iraq, which has shown both willingness for war and desire for these type weapons, must go.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

The escape of a super bio weapon is the premise of Stephen King's The Stand. The bug, of course, destroy virtually everyone in the world.

I hope Saddam is not working on such a superweapon.
          hi ,

how about twenty times the amount of anthrax to kill of the planet , .....

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
          X