Requiem for a Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiem for a Dream

Recommended randomly by at least 3 different people, and warned that the ending is a complete shocker

I must say this film left me empty... it definitely didn't feel like watching a movie; just a terrifying and non committed stream of consciousness that leaves one cringing and confused. No serious development for emotional attachment to characters, and background info is vague at best. It just seems a tease that brings you early expectations and then spirals out of control randomly to scare the viewer. After the first half an hour and with the aforementioned warnings in mind, I expected a Vanilla Sky type shocker... something layered which makes you shout "Ohhh, that's why that happened"

Now the tone of my thoughts seem quite critical, but this was a great movie... just, plain f*cked up - you know? Simply enough - the film is a well done metaphor for perception maintenance

Please share any intrinsic or messed up things that you noticed from the movie... I'm off to watch it again now and find my own (if there are any)

For me, the film is all about escapism, and the different ways in which we encounter it.
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

One of the few anti-drug movies that that don't end up being pro-drugs.

Comment

Well Mono that's pretty much the way the director put it, in a nutshell

Very well done movie on second glance... although the characters still feel alien, which is ironic in all the emphasis the director puts on his happiness with their robust descriptions

Comment

That movie is not something to watch while tripping. Although it did make me happy I wasn't using heroin at the time.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

"Well Mono that's pretty much the way the director put it, in a nutshell"
            All bow down at my mad analytical skillz...
            Drake Tungsten
            Albert Speer

Comment

I thought it was cocaine

Comment

Is THAT what that white powder was???
                Drake Tungsten
                Albert Speer

Comment

The issue here is whether or not it's that or smack, smartass

Most reviews see it as heroin and that bugs me for some reason

Comment

Dude, that was a cross-post. I thought you said that it was cocaine people should bow down to, not my mad analytical skillz.
                    Drake Tungsten
                    Albert Speer

Comment

haha ok

well check out this piece of an article I found:

"Aronofsky has a knack for stylistic overkill, and his hammering onslaught is undeniably riveting, at first anyway. But it gradually becomes brutalizing and counterproductive; he's not especially good with actors, and he resolutely fails to find the core of humanity that would make his four characters sympathetic or even remotely interesting."

Comment

That person thinks he's found a clotheless emperor when in reality the emperor is sporting styling duds. That's my opinion anyway, and mine's just as good as his.
                        Drake Tungsten
                        Albert Speer

Comment

How about shut up?

(Know where I can get some brown sugar?)

Comment

uuuuuuh I don't, sorry
                            Drake Tungsten
                            Albert Speer

Comment

They seemed really mellowed by it. I confess I've never been introduced to the heroin scene, but its effects should be similar to perscription painkillers. In my experience cocaine tends to make people excitable, while painkillers are the sit down, shut up, and be chill drugs.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X