Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical dilemma: hypothetical situations

What would you do in these scenarioes:

1. If you have a chance to be a modern day white collar equivalvent of Robin Hood, will you take it?

2. If you can scam a lot of people each for a small amount of money, e.g. 10 million people at a dollar each, will you do that, providing that the people you scam don't care much about that dollar they lose?

3. As a computer cracker, you happen upon a racket of money laundering. If there's no way you can be found out, will you make off billions of dollars from some druglords?
    No, I won't
    25.00%
    Only 1
    5.00%
    Only 2
    6.67%
    Only 3
    10.00%
    Only 1 and 2
    1.67%
    Only 1 and 3
    3.33%
    Only 2 and 3
    16.67%
    All
    31.67%
    Last edited by Urban Ranger; February 24, 2003, 05:36.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

1. No
    2. No
    3. Yes
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

1. no
      2. yes
      3. no
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

all three are stealing, no

Comment

2 is tricky. You say it is a scam, but the people don't care?

I think of this as cyber-begging. I probably wouldn't mind doing that. If the people don't mind, then I probably would be OK with this.

Definately not #1. Don't get me started on teaching Robin Hood to elementary schools. Talk about brain washing . Stealing is stealing.

The only reason I voted on #2 is because you said the people don't mind. Therefore I can't consider it stealing.

#3 is illegas as well.

Comment

No to all.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

no
              maybe
              yes
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Why do you think it is an unethical action to take money from druglords, seeing that it is ill-gotten rich anyway?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

1) Which Robin Hood are you talking about? The myths around this have altered rather a lot over time (particularly once Disney got their hands on it, but oh well). I'd rather go the Ragnar Danneskjold route myself.

2) No.

3) Better off playing anonymous tipster to the DEA or someone. I think drugs should be legalized, but druglords aren't nice people.

Wraith
                  “I've chosen a special mission of my own. I'm after a man whom I want to destroy. He died many centuries ago, but until the last trace of him is wiped out of men's minds, we will not have a decent world to live in.”
                  -- Ragnar Danneskjold ("Atlas Shruggd")

Comment

No, that's all too much trouble to go through (and get into) for money.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: Ethical dilemma: hypothetical situations

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      What would you do in these scenarioes:

1. If you have a chance to be a modern day white collar equivalvent of Robin Hood, will you take it?

2. If you can scam a lot of people each for a small amount of money, e.g. 10 million people at a dollar each, will you do that, providing that the people you scam don't care much about that dollar they lose?

3. As a computer cracker, you happen upon a racket of money laundering. If there's no way you can be found out, will you make off billions of dollars from some druglords?
                      Sounds like the start of a movie plot.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

No.
                        Yes.
                        Yes.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Number 3 only. Considering there is no chance to be found out, there are no (negative) consequences for doing this. And by removing some of the druglords money, there will be just that many more people no exposed to their evil drugs.
                          The billions in my bank account would just be a bonus.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yes
                            Yes
                            Yes

I've seen enough people so shamefully rich to feed their dogs with caviar and silver forks
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I'd consider two and three, but probably just three.
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X