Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Gulf War II Troops Armed With?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Gulf War II Troops Armed With?

What is the standard issue weaponry for the front-line troops? Do they now use body armor, as does the Special Ops force, which seems to have been very useful in Afghanistan? The new night vision goggles that are supposed to be so nice? What kind of electronics are now standard issue? Do most units have Iridium sat phones, now that Iridium has been fully built-out?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Probably the best example would be "Black Hawk Down". Since the forces are mostly squad based and specialized, each specific unit will no doubt carry equipment unique to their particular objective. For instance, some Spec Forces units will probably have laser targeting devices to paint important targets for airstrikes. The vast majority of the troops will probably not see direct combat. They will help in the post-Saddam occupation and they will deal with the Iraqi's that surrender in large numbers.

But I'm no doubt not completely accurate. Most of my info comes from a couple of my buddies who are marines and currently in that region. I'm sure Sprayber could add to this.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Don't know too much about the infantry, but a new bomb is going to be used that releases a high-density flammable gas. (Heavier than air, so it heads downward) Coupled with one conventional bomb, it can create a firestorm that penetrates deep into bunkers.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

They will help in the post-Saddam occupation and they will deal with the Iraqi's that surrender in large numbers.

LOL. A bit optimistic, are we now?
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Probably just a gun Mk1 and some light vest. Do you remmember ALICE? If Iraqi would do a little street combat it would be some light vest against some nice RPG. so...

I think they would like to stay in APCs and hide US hide. If Iraqi would do a little resistance, US soldiers would show some really strange aversion to go into open, after half year of occupation.

It looks like the US army planers have greater interest in pepper gas and public relations than on real war situation. I didn't see much work on "What if it would be TOTAL FAILURE and Bush will lose his next elections and he will take us with him.".

If Iraqi were smart they improved anti-helicopter defense and diged in cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
            but a new bomb is going to be used that releases a high-density flammable gas. (Heavier than air, so it heads downward) Coupled with one conventional bomb, it can create a firestorm that penetrates deep into bunkers.
            It rings some bells. Something like good ol' napalm and ...

And don't forget that rummors about great terrorist weapon. EMP bomb. I allways said it would be good terrorist weapon for new 21 century.

Comment

Does it really matter? We will defeat the Iraqis, though how many on each side die has far more to do with how tought the resistance form forces Loyal to Saddam is that what the US arsenal is made off. And how the troops are armed will have diddly to do with what happens the day and weeks, months, and years after.

What are they armed with? Guns and equipment.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

GePap: Nobody's forcing you to post in the thread if you aren't interested in the subject matter.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Did I say I felt forced? Don't worry..you will get plenty of answers to your question. What are two posts in a 50 or more post thread?

Now, stay on TOPIC!

If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                    They will help in the post-Saddam occupation and they will deal with the Iraqi's that surrender in large numbers.

LOL. A bit optimistic, are we now?
                    Just being realistic. Iraq's military was much more capable before the first Gulf War. Now, they've been demoralized from 12 years of air-strikes and sanctions. I doubt they will fight for Saddam when faced with total destruction.

Remember, I'm not for the war at this point; but let's not kid ourselves. It's not a question of if the US will win, but when.

In terms of new technologies and infantry weapons, I think there will be some field testing of equipment that is more or less, accesories to the modern soldier. The best advance in small arms came with the assault rifle. But until a new type of rifle is thought of, I think the M16 and it's counter-parts will be the weapon of choice for a long time.

Most advances now will focus on communications and intelligence as well as electronic warfare systems. Sort of like the invention of the "smart" bomb. The main focus in infantry tactics and design has been the creation of the "smart" soldier.
                    Attached Files
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And why do you want this info DanS? Are you planning on giving it to the terrorists?

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Baath party?
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

We should deport him just to be safe... call up Ashcroft!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Don't worry, I've dispatched the Local DC Department of Homeland Security Jackboot Division...
                          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                          X