Thomas A Stobie's Webpages - The Greatest Joke Site of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas A Stobie's Webpages - The Greatest Joke Site of All Time

Thomas A Stobie. Never in the history of the TBS community has there been someone so knowledgeable, so recognizable, so impactful, so implacable, yet had apparently no friends.

Most of you who have known him probably have seen him on the old official SMAC message board. He was a major poster there, a beta tester for SMAC, and the person who wasn't employed by Firaxis/OSI/EA who had the most impact on the development of SMAC.

Despite all this, he wasn't really close to anyone on the message board. Some people hated him even. One guy (who posts here) described in detail a story of him mutilating Thomas A Stobie.

Anyway, I killing time on the internet and decided to see what Thomas A Stobie was up to. I found this, Thomas A Stobie's home page or so I thought.

First, I was very surprised when reading his resume.

He asked himself various questions.
    How good are you?

In my specialty of strategic thinking, I would say in the telecommunications industry I am one of the top 5 people in the world and in general that I am in the top 1%. When empowered, I significantly improve the organization's bottom line.
    So Thomas A Stobie turned out to be one of the 5 best telecommunications people in the world. Wow. Why haven't we heard about him on CNBC?

Apparently there is a very good reason for this..
    Are you well known?
    No, If most CEO's knew 10% of the value I would bring, they would be lining up and competing for my services.
    Ahh, that explains everything.

You may be asking what qualifications he has to back up these assertions.
    If they gave degrees based on the learning from experience, what degrees would you have?
    I would have at least Doctors of Science in each of Mathematical Analysis, Telecommunications Planning, Computer Systems Planning, and Strategic Technology Planning and a Masters of Technology Management.
    I wish I had 4 make-believe doctorates.

There is far more fun filled questions so check out that section to read it all.

One of the few times Thomas A Stobie ventured into the relm of Off Topicness was in the area of religion. This was especially true in abortion. Apparently he is the head of Divine Love Ministries. And you thought Jesus was religious. Also in this section, his wife is called WonderBarb. Switch a couple letters and drop a "b" and you get WonderBra.

Now at first I didn't think this was silly at all, just interesting. I honestly believed this was Thomas A Stobie's webpage. But then I came across something that showed where the real creator of the page either slipped up or showed that this was all a joke. Check out Thomas A Stobie's Gaming Page. Sid Meier is spelled Sid Meyer. The real Thomas A Stobie couldn't have done that. His name is in the credits of the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Official Strategy Guide for crying out loud.

So the only explaination for this that I can think of is that someone who really hated Thomas A Stobie went and found out all the information on Thomas A Stobie he could, made up some stuff that sounded kinda plausable, then made up some stuff that was just crazy.

Seriously, I can't think of another joke site where so much effort was put into making one person look silly, at least not for someone famous.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

ha ha ha ha

when was the last time it was updated (I haven't seen TAS since the Firaxis days)

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

man

I tihnk it is real

it is just insane

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think he could use some advise on his resume

but I am no good, so I won't send any to him

Jonm Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I think it's a masterpiece.

He goes on and on about what a great thinker he is, but most high school dropouts realize how egocentric and arrogant his "resume" sounds and can see through all his bull**** about "thinking skills".
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Obviously his consulting business is booming:

Discover valuable insights on internet, technology, and small business from EarthLink's expert blog. Stay informed and empowered with our expert tips and advice.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

His picture

Comment

He formed a "Society of Quality First Professionals": http://stobie.home.sprynet.com/work/Q1P.htm

Its logo looks like it's from MS Paint, and it's got two members.

And for the record, it looks legit:
                Thomas A Stobie, S.F.O
                Consulting Sages
                7500 W. 98th Terrace
                Overland Park KS 66212

Email:
                mailto:ConSages@AOL.com or
                mailto:stobie@sprynet.com or
                mailto:tstobie@dns.sprint.com

He's just a ******.

Comment

Yeah. Well, his list of suggestions is a bit more disturbing. Research is good before making suggestions. Like drive-through Pharmacies. Maybe Kansas doesn't have them yet, but New Jersey sure does. And then there are some worrisome political ones, like making political advertisements that include slander a felony. Talk about rewarding the winners, who will be the ones who in many states can stack the courts to decide what slander is. Or "non-luxiorous prisons." Ah, if only that were the problem.

Edit: Ahh, too much good stuff. You always leave some out. Just look at the page yourself, but "Congressional Pay linked to Congressional Performance" cracks me up. So if you do things like delay appointments and stall, you get a pay cut. Not to mention federal laws that allow states to overrule the law with their own law. I might note that if that's appropriate, then the feds shouldn't even bother making a law, and let the states handle it anyway.
                  All syllogisms have three parts.
                  Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Wow, he's a fellow Kansan, go figure. I never met the guy, but his website is hillarious. Whoever heard of publicitary interchange or a strategic technologist?
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Who is Thomas A Stobie? I can't tell if your first post here was ironically tilted or just factual.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

he seems like he is someone is who is intelligent but not very smooth

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                          Who is Thomas A Stobie? I can't tell if your first post here was ironically tilted or just factual.
                          Well known guy on the OWO forums

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                            Completely factual.
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              ha ha ha ha

when was the last time it was updated (I haven't seen TAS since the Firaxis days)

Jon Miller
                              Last Modified 4 Nov 2002.
                              If this really is a joke site, they take it seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X