Plan 9 From Outer Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan 9 From Outer Space

Okay, this tread will probably sink like a brick, but...

I've been hearing about this movie for years. No one actually saw it but everyone knew a neighbour who had a relative whose brother in law... I only saw the re-enactments in the movie Ed Wood.

Anyways, I finally managed to download it and it's so bad that I watched it two times in a row. And I'm going to watch it again tomorrow...

I don't know if I should laugh or if I should cry. Come on, you can see the threads above the UFO's.

Ed Wood should posthumelously (sp?) be given the Academy Award for lifetime achievements. And Bela Lugosi too.

Anyone else saw this movie? What do you think of it?
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

I saw it ages ago. It isn't quite the worst movie ever made, but certainly is up there. It's in a class of brilliance all by itself!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Ditto.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I love it.

"Greetings, my friends. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future."

"Can your heart stand the shocking facts about GRAVE ROBBERS FROM OUTER SPACE?"
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's in a class of brilliance all by itself!

My feelings exactly!

What I really like about Ed Wood is that even knowing his films were really really bad, he just kept going...
          Once again...

Comment

It is absolutely the worst movie I have seen......I love it!

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

It's loaded with all kinds of scientifical facts:
              Colonel Tom Edwards: You speak of Solaranite. But just what is it?
              Eros: Take a can of your gasoline. Say this can of gasoline is the sun. Now, you spread a thin line of it to a ball, representing the earth. Now, the gasoline represents the sunlight, the sun particles. Here we saturate the ball with the gasoline, the sunlight. Then we put a flame to the ball. The flame will speedily travel around the earth, back along the line of gasoline to the can, or the sun itself. It will explode this source and spread to every place that gasoline, our sunlight, touches. Explode the sunlight here, gentlemen, you explode the universe. Explode the sunlight here and a chain reaction will occur direct to the sun itself and to all the planets that sunlight touches, to every planet in the universe. This is why you must be stopped. This is why any means must be used to stop you. In a friendly manner or as (it seems) you want it.
              "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Any movie with any sort of entertainment value is NOT the worst movie ever made. The Worst movie ever made is one that yo can't possibly care for and enjoy on any level. No one ever says: wow, this dish is so horribly bad, I will eat it over and over! It just makes me want to puke, yet i will not stop eating it!

Ed Wood made extreemly cheesy movies, but they have thier good qualities, at least a slong as you decide not to take them seriously.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Wood's Glen or Glenda is actually worse -- either that, or it's so bad it passes beyond bad into some realm where aesthetic judgment simply doesn't apply. Download it now!
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Ha! I knew I recognized that title!

Plan 9 from Mission Hill (or I Married a Gay Man from Outer Space) - a Mission Hill episode title. It's all about this extremely bad movie and why it was so bad. This episode centers around Gus and Wally, the homosexual neighbors of Kevin and Andy French.
                    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                    New faces...Strange places,
                    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Interesting why you bring this movie up.

Do you listen to the movie show on the radio? They were talking about worst movies of all time. And they played clips from this movie.

I'm working sat/sunday nights. So I usually listen to the movie show on the AM radio. Good show to talk about the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                        Interesting why you bring this movie up.

Do you listen to the movie show on the radio? They were talking about worst movies of all time. And they played clips from this movie.

I'm working sat/sunday nights. So I usually listen to the movie show on the AM radio. Good show to talk about the movies.
                        Alas, that program is not broadcasted on our side of the pond. Now that you mention it, we don't have ANY movie program on Dutch radio

Rufus, you are right about Glen or Glenda. I saw that one a couple of years ago in a local movie arthouse. Loved it! Time to download it (if I can find it)...
                        Once again...

Comment

If I remember rightly, didn't Bela Lugosi die in the middle of the shooting of Plan 9?

They replaced him with another actor who had to keep his cloak up against his face for the rest of the movie!

Comment

Originally posted by Nivek
                            If I remember rightly, didn't Bela Lugosi die in the middle of the shooting of Plan 9?

They replaced him with another actor who had to keep his cloak up against his face for the rest of the movie!
                            Almost. Lugosi died just a few days after principle shooting began; there was little or no actual footage of him shot, but Wood needed his name on the credits to sell the thing. So he spliced in home movie footage of Lugosi prancing about in his Dracula costume, then replaced him in the movie with Wood's wife's chiropractor (or maybe dentist; I can't recall), who was a good foot taller than Lugosi as well as being blonde.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I agree with GePap, the movie has some entertainment value after all... I laughed from the first scene all through to the last one. It's horrible!

But... we laugh at the movie because most of us have a previous knowledge about what we will see. We know it was labeled as "the worst film ever made", and even a "cult" movie... So we pretty much know what to expect, and we can laugh and not take it seriously.

But imagine the poor soul who was looking for some fun when the movie was released... he just sees the movie poster, "hm, Plan 9 from Outer Space? That sounds funny", and then he is the victim of such a horrible piece of celluloid... He would probably demand his money back...
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X