No announcement yet.

Giving the BIOS the boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as it follows some sort of standard - so that a BIOS equiv on one comp is remotely similar to a BIOS equiv on another, then it could be a good thing.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      I guess this must be exciting for PC users...
      You're right, it's a non-issue for Mac users because they don't have any damn choice in their motherboards.

Kudos for Apple's advancements in limiting people's choice to antiquated motherboards that are where Intel was at three years ago.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        Well as I said, there should be a bare minimum of BIOS equivalent, enough to be able to hand over to the OS and then the OS takes over rather than go through this layer...just my thought anyway.
        You can tweak the BIOS stuff largely through the OS. I flash my BIOS inside Windows and change AGP settings without touching the BIOS, for example.

You can even overclock using programs like SoftFSB without touching the BIOS screen.

It's just that most of the time it's not an issue to use the BIOS settings, or in this case EFI.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I thought the reference to automobiles was because they need drivers.

(I'll go away).

Comment

change AGP settings without touching the BIOS, for example.
            Didn't know you can do that...
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
              Didn't know you can do that...
              Yep, Nvidia's Detonator 40s (and perhaps earlier drivers?) allow you to change stuff from the driver control panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                Who the **** ****s and giggles anyway?!?!!
                The French?
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Nivek
                  I thought the reference to automobiles was because they need drivers.

(I'll go away).
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Now that I've thought on the matter, it seems to me that the upside to this is that Be can finally come out of the closet.

SP
                    I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                    X