A History of Techno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A History of Techno

I have been listening to my electronic/techno albums recently and I find I enjoy them more now than I did when they first came out.

Some of the artists I have been listening to recently:

Kraftwerk: computer world, man-machine, autobahn
    You just can't get much more German than these guys.

Jean Michel Jarre: equinoxe, oxygene
    beautiful melodies, catchy hooks, stands up to the test of time so far.

Brian Eno: neural net, on land, music for airports
    neural net is awesome, but the ambient series is a little dull.

Tangerine Dream: phaedra, rubycon
    I love the dreamy cadences of these guys.

These are just a few of the techno progenitors. Can anyone recommend me some of the more current techno masters or any good techno old or new?

I plan on buying Mike Oldfield's: tubular bells soon. I had fogotten all about that one, before I ran across it on amazon.

Care to comment?
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Aphex Twin
    :-p

Comment

aphex twin most definitely, bu tonly on the earlier albums like selected ambient works vol 1 and the richard d. james album.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Daft Punk
        Talent Optional

Comment

Boy Girl Song is the absolute pinnacle of Aphex Twin's work, as far as I'm concerned.
          I've been listening to alot of "Lemon Jelly" music lately - good, mellow, very unique and thoughtful music.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Chemical Brothers

Comment

I have never heard of Aphex Twin. I'm definitely going to have to check them out as well as Daft Punk. Thanx.

I just thought of another one that I think is/are pretty good: Lords of Acid.
              "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

Ixnay, I have heard some Chemical Bro's, and I own the Setting Sun ep, which I like a lot. Can you suggest anything else by them that is worth a listen.

Comment

Are the Dust Bro's recordings any good?

Comment

I have the Chemical Brothers newest album, "Come With Us". I enjoy listening to it a lot. I also enjoy the Fight Club soundtrack, which was done by the Dust Brothers.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I remember enjoying the Fight Club soundtrack very much. I own the DVD. I forgot that was the Dust Bro's.

Comment

Monolith, what's a good Lemon Jelly cd?

Comment

Come with us is great

also try boards of canada
                          :-p

Comment

Finally I've got something new to look for in my local music shop.

Does anyone here like Stereolab? Their music has a lot of layers of texture and is reminiscent of the better melodic aspects of the Velvet Underground.

Comment

I know there has to be more techno/electronic/chill-out/downtempo fans out there. [scans the horizon]

There seems to be a lot of music missing from this thread. We have the 70's and the late 90's, but nothing from the 80's, early 90's or the 60's or earlier. Can someone help to fill in the blanks? Otherwise this isn't much of a history.

I just purchased Lemon Jelly's: lost horizon. I love this CD. The album is surprisingly sunny and original. Thanks Mononlith94! I found some Aphex Twins, but none of the suggested titles.
                              Last edited by MosesPresley; February 21, 2003, 19:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X