Napoleon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All empires fall.

My claim is that this empire would allow the same rate of scientific advances, and perhaps even more, due to the development of areas such as Russia, Portugal, and Spain, whilst avoiding conflict in europe, for at least the 20th century.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Sometimes, abandonment of serfdom can be bad too ... in Dalmatia and other parts of Croatia (then under Habsburgs) Napoleon took, peasants were quick to drink away the land they got

also, going against the church in the traditionaly Catholic regions of north mediteranean, it had to backfire on the French

But Napoleon was very progressive. I read that they still use Code Civil in its original form somwhere in Canada

Comment

The rule of napoleon would benefit greatly places such as Spain
        That is true, because in Spain we have never been lucky with our kings.
        But in Spain a foreign government (even the best foreign government) would NEVER be admitted.
        Last edited by Thorgal; February 20, 2003, 21:32.
        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Napolean built a lot of public infrastructure and also liberated the Jews of Europe, granting them full citizenship. He triggered off the Zionist movement by coming within a hair of granting Palestine to the Jews.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Azazel,

Some empires fall faster than others, it depends on how well they govern. I think any people will accept foreign government until that government does poorly.
            "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
            "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
            "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

So the consensus here is that he wasn't an evil little megalomaniac tinpot ruthless dictator.

Carry on with your discussion.
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

i"m just having al lot of fun with this. \but whoever said tha the truth was worth anything...
                What?

Comment

Sometimes, abandonment of serfdom can be bad too ... in Dalmatia and other parts of Croatia (then under Habsburgs) Napoleon took, peasants were quick to drink away the land they got
                  I was talking about the abolition of serfdom, not the redestribution of the land. Besides, even that fact you've brought does not mean that the redestribution of land was a faulty idea. Maybe poorly implemented, but that is a different question.

also, going against the church in the traditionaly Catholic regions of north mediteranean, it had to backfire on the French
                  He also wasn't culturally agressive enough sometimes. He could've taken over Germany, and made it a part of France, since Germans was very open to his ideas and reforms, and weren't yet bound by the nationalism of the late 19th century.

But Napoleon was very progressive. I read that they still use Code Civil in its original form somwhere in Canada.
                  He was authoritarian, but his whole approach to government was groundbraking, rivalled only by... The American Revolution, at the time.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                    But Napoleon was very progressive. I read that they still use Code Civil in its original form somwhere in Canada
                    Probably in Quebec. Louisiana law is based upon the French civil code.

Comment

Working...
                    X