I crashed my car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I crashed my car.

Coming to work the other day, I managed to write off my car.

I am not sure what happened, since I can't remember the accident. I can remember driving along the road, only half a mile or so from my house, and then the next thing I remember is the car being smashed against a tree, with the airbag in my face. Apparently it is quite normal for your brain to wipe the memory of a car crash, but I find it rather disconcerting.

There was no other car involved. For some reason, I just drove off the road and into a tree. I think I was doing about 50mph.

I must say, I am impressed with BMW's safety standards. I drove my car head on into a tree and walked away without even a bruise.

The police came and breathalised me but I was fine. No-one saw the accident, and the police initially suggested I might have been avoiding a dog or something.

However, on returning home that night, my neighbour told me the tyres of her car had been slashed the night before. Our cars sit right next to each other in the driveway (the houses are joined), so I am wondering if someone tried to slash my tyres too. I have my winter tyres on, which are very thick, so maybe the vandal only managed to damage them - not breaking right through. Then I could have driven half a mile on the damaged tyre before it burst, making me lose control.

I phoned the garage where the car is right now and they say that one of the tyres is completely shredded, which is consistent with a burst tyre, but they can't tell if it was deliberate. The police are going to look into it.

What do you think? I can't imagine a vandal bothering to slash my neighbour's tyres (a small car) and ignoring the BMW sitting next to it.

If I were the vandal I would have taken a sledgehammer to your BMW
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sounds plausible. When I had a company car and was doing high mileages there were three or four occasions when the garage refused to repair a punctured tyre because it had a damaged sidewall. If the sidewall does let go the tyre generally fails catastrophically rather than the controlled deflation a puncture in the tread area leads to.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Scary! But it sure sounds possible that an exploded tyre on an icy road might have some hazardous results. You have to look at the bright side, and be happy that you didn't get hurt!

Comment

Be glad you went off at 50mph and not 100mph.

Good job you are OK, but would we even find out if you weren't...
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

My Gran kept doing soemthing similar, it turned out she was having petty mal seizures for about 5-10 seconds.

You shoul dgo and get checked out
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Yep, could be that. Me bro used have em.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                Me bro used have em.
                I was always told the English created English?

Comment

I'm buying into the slashed-tire theory.

If so, the vandal was a moron--he almost turned a night of malicious fun into a case of manslaughter. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Comment

yes it does feel weird not to remember what happened.
                    i was in a wreck a year ago and totaled my car also.
                    was waiting in a left turn lane and a truck hit me from behind and knocked me into oncoming traffic and i was hit by two other vehicles.

glad your ok and walked away from it.
                    "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                      My Gran kept doing soemthing similar, it turned out she was having petty mal seizures for about 5-10 seconds.

You shoul dgo and get checked out
                      Funnily enough, I sometimes have grand mal siezures from scarring in my brain (MS), but I didn't have one that morning. I went to my neurologist to check and he said no (actually I am sure I would know because it gives you a very peculiar feeling afterwards, and it is murder on my back). He says I was completely normal, and it is fairly usual to lose the memory of the crash afterwards.

I am on drugs to supress the siezures.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                        My Gran kept doing soemthing similar...
                        At first I thought you meant she was slashing tires.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Luckily you're not hurt

If this was the work of vandals, I hope the police find them.

Comment

Glad you're ok.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Glad you escaped. If that would have happened in my car I wouldn't have stood a chance. But I shall be shut soon enough
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X